Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow once bubbled...

One time I planned the second dive of the day with 40 feet depth in mind, tumbled to almost 60, and then stupidly did not shorten the dive or even do a safety stop.

Chalk up one trip to a recompression chamber.

Not really sure what to think about that one........

Two boat dives ago I was lookin slick in front of the tourists (some of which were chuckin from the sea state).......gonna make a nice smooth giant step entry.............as I leave the deck looking down..........i see boots, not fins...........boots
damnit jim!!!

tiny bubbles

wait after entry until both of us are in the water and then descend together. (Unless the waves are rough).

The kids unually enter first because I check them over to make sure they are OK.

My 12 year old is in the water waiting on me. - She is holding the line from the back of the boat that "every one lines up on when getting back on the boat" and the current is taking her farther from the boat.

The DM did not lock down the line spool and everyone (several adults besides my daughter) holding the line was cared off by the current because the line was not locked in place.

The boat crew never had a clue.

After enjoying a leisurely surface interval on the upper deck of the Cayman Aggressor I decided to skip the stairs and dive off the upper railing to go below. And it had gone so well the day before.... I entered the water with perfect form (so nice of the crew to catch this on tape). However, as soon as I hit the water I flaired my arms out to halt my descent from habit....like i was diving off some river bank into a 5' swimmin hole back home (not really necessary or prudent when the water is 60' deep). They called it a dislocation fracture...ripped my arm out of the socket and broke the end off of the ball. I have the scar and a big lag bolt on my xray to prove it now. So as I am swimming one armed on my back heading for the stern I call out rather loudly " need a little help here" a crew member and another diver leap over the (lower) railing to come to the aid of....the OTHER guy who had gone off the rail the same time as me. He had done some kind of psycho free-form tumble flip thing (again, thanks for the video) and after one or two more strokes I saw him lying face down in the water unconcious. Said he had the strangest dream. Luckily this was most of the way through the trip. I had made 20+ dives and only missed 7 or 8. It was pain pills and rum for me from then on mon. The owner of our LDS who was with us is 75. He said "after you hit 40 or so you should quit diving off of railings and cliffs. He didn't elaborate or comment on why he had included cliff diving in his advice...I wonder....

Ran out of air while I just about to start buddy breathing exercise with my partner during my open water test. My buddy was about 15 ft away and my instructor was right next to me. I signalled her that I ran out of air and my instructor kept pointing to my buddy, indicating that I supposed to do it with my buddy and not with her. Took her awhile to realized that I really was out of air :confused: I guess I learned to check my gauge very often after that.

However the biggest opps I ever witnessed happened to someone else and rather, I was a witness.
We went to a local site that whalesharks have been spoted. As we arrived at the site, a whaleshark surfaced and somebody yelled "shark". In great anticipation to see it, a guy ran out of the bathroom, grabbed his fins and mask and jumped in the water. Unfortunately he left his shorts behind in the bathroom.
I think the poor shark went blind!

Havent broken anything for a dumb reason yet but....

:goofy: I know it will probobly happen

A dive buddy of mine was telling me a story about when he was up diving at the quarries and he was trying out his new weight belt. It somehow came loose when he was finishing his dive and ...GOODBYE.... It was gone His dive buddy james said he was right behind him and almost got hit by them not realizing what they were.

This is a little long...

The day after completing our last open water checkout dives me, and two others from class, decide to do our first real, unsupervized dive, the next day. We decided to dive the Western World, an old wooden wreck off Point Pleasant NJ... A beach dive.

We get to the parking lot at the beach near where the wreck is supposed to be and check out the conditions. It's horrible. The breakers rolling onto the beach are in the 6 to 8 foot range... huge waves. We were young and over confidant so we decide to go for it. Plus, we had driven an hour and a half so we didn't want to waste the trip (stupid, stupid, stupid). We start putting our heavy farmer john wetsuits on at the car and once we all have the bottoms on a woman approaches us and asks if we are diving the Western World... we say 'yes' and she inform us that we have to go to the police station and sign liability waivers first. We get back in the car, in wetsuits (bottoms only) and sweat our butts off driving to the police station, go in, fill out proper forms and return. It took about 20 minutes and we must have each sweated out about a gallon by the time we got back to the dive site. We gear up and start heading to the water in all our gear... Including 28 LB weight belts on each of us.

By the time we get to the water we are hot, tired, and more than a little nervous at swimming through the huge breakers rolling in. The beach was crowded and everyone was staring at us. We were quite the novelty. Anyway, the plan is to stick together as we swim under the waves out past the breakers, then surface to regroup and figure out where the wreck is. We crawl into the water and get to where the water is about 2 feet deep and the first wave hits. It was like the surge from a hurricane. Masks flooded and filled with sand and sea weed, regs freeflowing, complete disorientation. We keep going... It felt like forever to get past the breakers, and after two or three waves we were all on our own. Had no idea where my buddies were... Well, we made it and managed to regroup on the surface beyond the beach break. We were all exhausted.

Now we are floating on the surface in 4 to 6 foot swells trying to figure out where the wreck is and trying not to get sea sick. We are in about 15' of water with about 10' vis. You could not see bottom snorkeling. Luckily a boat pulled up about 50 yards away and anchored on the wreck. We could see the water was all stirred up with sand where he anchored, and figured it was the surge around the wreck kicking up sand. We were right. We surface swam to the wreck and the boat, confirmed with the 2 divers on the boat that we were on the wreck, and did our dive.

It was an interesting dive... lots of fish on two chunks of the wreck about 20 feet apart surrounded by sand. The surge underwater was pushing us back and forth about 10 feet per wave... that was a surprise after only doing pool and quary dives. Well, we finished the dive, saving about 1000 lbs air each for the return to the beach. We surface swam together to just offshore of where the waves were breaking (we never even though to ask the guys on the boat for a lift). Now what???

Well, we all shook hands, said good luck, and made our way in, knowing there was no way to stay together in that mess of waves. We were correct. Basically, the first wave hit us and we all tumbled feet over head and then had that first wave slam us into the bottom where we all lost contact with eachother. This went on for what felt like forever, but it was probably 3 or 4 minutes of getting slammed and tossed around by these massive waves. All you could see was the sand, water, and sea weed inside the mask, you could only hear crashing waves. Somehow I made it to the beach, without my buddies (they were waaaay down the beach). I crawl to where the water is only about a foot deep and just stay there catching my breath. I was totally lost. Dizzy, exhausted... Some little kid immediately runs up and starts saying, "Wow, are you a scuba diver, what did you see?" "did you see any sharks, what kind of fish..." I couldn't even answer him I was so wiped out. A small crowd has gathered around me now. I am tired, upset, confused, and more than a little embarrased at our stupidity at making the dive. Someone asks if I need any help... I say no (I needed it bad though). I try to crawl forward and stand up, but as I was kneeling, the water from the waved going up and down the beach had burried my legs in the sand. I was stuck. I ask the guy for help, and he drags me up out of the water where I colapse (I still had all my gear on). My two buddies show up around that time, one with no mask, and one with only one fin. I check myself out and I didn't lose anything, but I had sea weed wrapped around everything, and sand and sea weed filling my wetsuit... literally pounds of the stuff. So did my buddies. We sat on the beach for about 1/2 an hour before we had the energy to pack our gear up to the car.

We survived the waves, saw the wreck, and only lost 2 pieces of equipment... We were very lucky to say the least. We drove home in virtual silence, in awe over what we had just been through. We all learned a huge lesson that day...

That was in August 1993 when I lived in PA. By October 1993 I was living in Florida :)

Almost 10 years later Ive had nothing but the rare, stupid mistake, which I've always caught before entering the water... Nothing broken, and nothing that has ever cost me a dive or even shortened one for that matter. I will always remember the Western World, that's for sure.

I once gave my girlfriend an empty SpareAir bottle to go play around on in a lake. It was her first time with any kind of underwater breathing device. She came back up after a few moments and asked if she was using it wrong. Seems I had hoovered it down already: "Woops, I musta drained it already baby, sorry":rolleyes: Not the best first impression.

She sure could have taken that the wrong way.

Could have been dangerous too

On every trip that I take i always Bungie diver.

I am capable of putting my reg on my tank when i first get on a boat right. But when the second or sometimes third fill of the day comes along i am so exicted to get back in the water that i forget to undo the bungie before i put my reg back on the tank after its been filled.

Luckily for me (wink wink) i always have someone discreeetly (ya right) tell me about it. Needless to say i am always embrassed about the announcement and the looks i get from all the men on the boat (Typical young woman diver).

I think i should change my sign on name form wrinkles to bungiedvr

Ana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom