Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon once bubbled...
Since I recently became certified, I really dont have anything ive done that was too dumb, but I have a great story about my instructor last weekend. <snip> I guess it just wasnt his day.

Time to find a new instructor...that post is one of the most frightening examples of ineptitude as an instructor I have ever seen!

Count the number of preventable mistakes.
Count the number of potentially FATAL mistakes
Count the number of stupid mistakes

I sincerely believe that you should find a new instructor, this degree of nonchalance is unacceptable for an instructor.

Just a question...why were YOU hooking-up his gear? Why did no one check the pressure gauge on the boat?

YIKES!

while diving in cozumel and waiting for everybody to jump in, i like to snorkel and check out the scenery below. everybody is finally in the water and the dm gives the descend signal.

of course i forgot i was using the snorkel...so as i descend and breathe in, i get a mouth full of water.

luckily i'm cool headed and realized what was happening and replaced the snorkel with the reg :D

One time in Belize (excellent diving) i felt it necessary to grab a jelly fish. but i somehow forgot i didn't have any gloves on. I got stung like there was no tomora!:boom:

I had the same exact same experience as Jeffcali. Took a snout full of seawater while my snorkel was still in place and my bc deflator button being depressed. A bad combo.

I actually glanced up at the boat once I ascended from my sea water inhalation to see if any one noticed my goof. I didnt see anyone or hear any laughing onboard but I suspect that one of the crew had his hand over his mouth suppressing a roar.

HMMMMM... Syruss, that sounds like my instructor. He also had that rule and i broke it twice. Just curious who was your Instructor?

I forget to turn my air on pretty often. That's pretty dumb, but I always catch myself before getting in the water.

Diving in cold water last week. My buddy who is always cold, says as usual how cold he was on the last dive. He takes his rig off, and his wetsuit is completely unzipped!

well it seems like all these posts lead me to beleive that once you get to familiar with diving you forget the basics ,such as checking your spg and reg for air presure prior to jumping ,as for the snorkel i have a habit of leaving it elsewhere besides on my mask ,someday ill prob want it but at least i wont desend while breathing from it lol .ive made plenty of mistakes myself and we all get to familiar and anxious to get wet that we forget simple things ,but usually not for long lol

...as I had NEVER jumped into water with air off, without mask or fins, never left some crucial piece of gear at home or in deep blue, never broke anything worth more than $11.95, and only once descended with a snorkel.

EXCEPT...

One time I planned the second dive of the day with 40 feet depth in mind, tumbled to almost 60, and then stupidly did not shorten the dive or even do a safety stop.

Chalk up one trip to a recompression chamber.

The dumbest thing that I have seen:

We had an instructor in such a hurry to hit the water at Gilboa Quarry in November that he forgot to zip his drysuit. Needless to state that he didn't do another dive that day.

Myself: I went diving with a cold. I had a new low volume mask. I got down to about 120 ft. and I was wondering why I couldn't see out of the mask clearly. I thought that it was flooding and pulled the mask off, cleared it, and was proud of myself. It turned out that the pressure that I felt around the top of my face was mask squeeze and NOT the sinus headache that I felt prior to starting the dive. I had a black eye for the rest of the weekend and into the next week.

Back
Top Bottom