Dumb Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking to move north, this heat is killing me.
Are you sure you haven't been peeking at the wage rate sheets instead? You poor devils down in FL (on average) have about the lowest dive rates in the US. (probably because EVERYBODY in FL is a "diver"):rolleyes:

Not just the dive rates but everything.
They all want you to have ten years experience and work for $8-10/hr.

Oh yea, then they give you that 'lower cost of living here' line. BS, it was true once but not anymore. You might find that the cost of living is 5% or 10% lower but the wages are half.

The kicker, heat exhaustion on a diving job in the first week of May????? I gotta make some changes.
:D

Maybe I'll go out and play in the Atlantic next week. That might help my attitude.

Washington State and CA have some of the highest union rates. In WA employers usually want you to have at least 10-15 yrs experience. San Francisco area is moderately busy, but expensive to live.
Southern CA is pretty crappy work wise, lotta low $$ stuff.
TORCH (New Orleans) is always hiring, they have work several states. The place is a tad on the odd side, but never heard of anyone getting ripped off. Not a lotta bucks down south though, need to head north for that. Canada needs HSE certs, but an American working there would have to be under the table anyway. Been known to happen.
:rolleyes:
Page with links to wage rates and sites to look for work: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/diveinfo.htm

There's always seafood harvesting. You like uni?
Spearfishing commercially in FL can pay OK, and bug season is coming up. You'll need to buy at least 1 trap permit to harvest by hand (I think).
If you're in the right places, 1000 lbs/day isn't unreasonable, though they don't stay in the clusters much past August (opening month).
Guess where I'll be in August...
:mean:

I'm actually trying to do more electronics and less diving.
My potential business startup here seems to be failing due to partner trouble so I am looking around for a backup plan. :(

Life can get interesting at time, eh?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom