Dumb Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by omar
Well "BIG" Jim,

"It appears that you could benefit from a number of the concepts that GUE incorporates into their diving approach."

So what poked you in the belly? Or are you someone who is satisfied with mediocrity?

omar

Why could I benefit?

Mediocrity?????? I dive!! It's a sport, not a competition.

If you want a challenge come on up help me move 5 ton mooring blocks at 120' into position and hook 1.5 inch mooring line to them. Every friday afternoon help clean zebra mussels off the Wolfe at 65' zero vis. heavy work. I'm not better than anyone else. It's just what I do.

We have Friday afternoon dives to clean up the shipwrecks. POW members, I supply the boat. If you want to join us, your welcome.

Originally posted by divedude
... We have Friday afternoon dives to clean up the shipwrecks. POW members, I supply the boat. If you want to join us, your welcome.

Jim sent me schedule - or is it EVERY Friday? I'd help you and Donna out... on my days off :D

Originally posted by DivingGal

Jim sent me schedule - or is it EVERY Friday? I'd help you and Donna out... on my days off :D
Weather permiting starting May 24 every Friday. Only cost- you must be a POW member But....... we may make a exception for SOS members
:thumb:
Best thing is to call first or e-mail Thursday night just in case I'm stuck in the USA.

Originally posted by divedude

Weather permiting starting May 24 every Friday. Only cost- you must be a POW member But....... we may make a exception for SOS members
:thumb:
Best thing is to call first or e-mail Thursday night just in case I'm stuck in the USA.

Gee thanks pal.... will do.

Hey DiveDude,

Sounds like some everyday diving to me.:D

Is there any reason that you need to use heavy block moorings? These days, permanent moorings driven into the bottom are lighter, stronger and hold much better. It doesn't take much boat to walk a 5 ton block out of place in bouncy conditions. :upset:
Everything is a compromise and the equipment used must meet the local needs. I understand that in some locations *everything* must be removed from the water at the end of the season. Even in some of these areas they make exceptions for driven moorings as long as all of the chain, rode and bouys are removed. This makes for a lot less stuff to be put back in the spring. Also reduces the damage potential by not having the possibility of big mooring blocks being dragged over anything and everything.

Must be rough to have to go dive every friday. :D

Originally posted by pipedope
Hey DiveDude,

Sounds like some everyday diving to me.:D

Is there any reason that you need to use heavy block moorings? These days, permanent moorings driven into the bottom are lighter, stronger and hold much better. It doesn't take much boat to walk a 5 ton block out of place in bouncy conditions. :upset:
Everything is a compromise and the equipment used must meet the local needs. I understand that in some locations *everything* must be removed from the water at the end of the season. Even in some of these areas they make exceptions for driven moorings as long as all of the chain, rode and bouys are removed. This makes for a lot less stuff to be put back in the spring. Also reduces the damage potential by not having the possibility of big mooring blocks being dragged over anything and everything.

Must be rough to have to go dive every friday. :D
The reason we use 5 ton blocks is that's what the Canadian Coast Guard uses on the navigation bouys around here
Yup!! we steal them off the bottom :D
If the Coast Guard can't find their block in the spring they put another down. So around each bouy we can find 2 or 3 blocks
No! we don't steal the one that is in use at the time :jester:
In fact 2 years ago they took 4 blocks out on the lake for us and dropped them near some of our wrecks. We bought the Captain and crew a few beers... well more than a few!
We don't use driven mooring because we have flat limestone bottom and most dive sites are 85' to 120' and with 250' rode we have had only one block move and that was when West Point M.A. brought a 85' dive vessel up here and we had 8' seas which is high here.

It is good to be in cooperation with the Coast Guard. :)

How much cover is on top of the limestone bottom?
If the rock is showing or is easy to get to you can drill and blot into it for a *very* secure mooring. Then again, your system is working so it doesn't sound like there is any real reason to change it.

The biggest advantage of a bolted (or driven) mooring is the ability to maintain full holding power with much less scope. This keeps the vessel in place better and reduces bottom damage from dragging tackle.

Hey, could you use another diver/electronics tech?
I am looking to move north, this heat is killing me. Actually the heat nearly killed me last week when I got heat exhaustion working in the sun doing fabriform concrete half in and half out of the water.

Originally posted by pipedope
It is good to be in cooperation with the Coast Guard. :)

How much cover is on top of the limestone bottom?
If the rock is showing or is easy to get to you can drill and blot into it for a *very* secure mooring. Then again, your system is working so it doesn't sound like there is any real reason to change it.

The "Puppy Poop" on the bottom varies from 1' to 6' in places which sometimes creates a problem when the block sinks in, right out of sight. That might make it hard to put in a permanent mooring, I've had no experience with them so I'm not sure.

The 1' deep is downright simple to work in. Most of the time your don't even need to remove it as my arms are long enough to reach and work by feel through it.
For 6' it would take a little work but still not too bad.

One trick you might consider is to shackle your mooring chain to the block with a bouy just big enough to lift the chain at about 10-15' from the block. This will make the unit easy to find and get ahold of. If you leave this bouy in place it can help in those odd times when the surface bouy gets broken off or otherwise lost. :rolleyes:

All part of the fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom