Dumb Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naw it wasn't a plant.
I had just finished reading a long thread "Tired of DIR" and no were in the thread did it say what DIR meant. I had a good idea from the thread but thought I'd double check. After checking out
the links Uncle Pug sent I clued in.

These GUE guys have a good hook, sucker people in to think their doing it wrong, sell a course, and "proper gear."

Now that I've clued in, I know what a dive instructor on my boat was talking about, he wanted me to take a course from him so I could learn to dive safer. He said something about GUE but I laughed and blew him off, as he had taken his first open water dive off my boat 5 yrs early. Like I said good advertising. It'll hook a lot of people.

I'm not saying that they are doing it wrong, they have good sense, and good methods. But....... back to the macho days.

Originally posted by divedude
These GUE guys have a good hook, sucker people in to think their doing it wrong, sell a course, and "proper gear."
Nice boat Jim... 9 kts?

As for GUE... you are not equipped to make a judgement like that... and it doesn't make you look wise to do so publicly... Asking questions one day... pontificating the next... either you have an axe to grind, a huge chip on your shoulder or you found something on the GUE site that poked you square in the belly.

Since you are an old time macho diver and have a beautiful dive boat I feel something of a kinship to you Jim... I know it can be hard to expose yourself to the possibility that you might not really know as much as you've led yourself and others to think all these years. Takes a really BIG Jim to humble himself enough to learn from others.... btw: I had been a macho diver for a loooong time and one of my DIR instructors had only been diving for three years.... his skill UW amazed me.... young whipper snapper!

Your prices look good... and Canadian too... shoot that makes it a super deal... just too far away for me but one of these days I'm heading east to dive with Yooper and his pappy. Maybe I'll head your way too... in the mean time if you ever get to the PNW I'll take you out on my dive boat (for free) and introduce you to the giant Pacific octopus.

Ahhh what the heck I’ll play along.

I went and took a look at your web site. It appears that you could benefit from a number of the concepts that GUE incorporates into their diving approach. Specifically no convoluted gear, your gear is a mess of hoses and crap protruding all over the place, a better choice of back inflation (no bondage wings of death) and being fit and trim.

omar

not in my nature...:innocent:

always have been direct and probably always will be.

omar

Originally posted by omar Specifically no convoluted gear, your gear is a mess of hoses and crap protruding all over the place, a better choice of back inflation (no bondage wings of death) and being fit and trim.

omar [/B]

aahh yes! my point exactly.
your right I'm wrong
bet your GUE DIR

I use OMS (wings of death) twin 80s. :eek:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Nice boat Jim... 9 kts?

As for GUE... you are not equipped to make a judgement like that... and it doesn't make you look wise to do so publicly... Asking questions one day... pontificating the next... either you have an axe to grind, a huge chip on your shoulder or you found something on the GUE site that poked you square in the belly.

Thanks! 12kts if I push her.

I guess the only GUE instructor I have run into turned me sour.
His attitude was "Your a sh**ty diver if your PADI" and made out like the rest of the customers on my boat shouldn't be allowed in the water. Like I said before he took his first "PADI" O/W off my boat 5 yrs. before.

Becides I'll never change, I'm just as comfortable at 100' as most people are walking in they back yards. In fact I think I'm happier.

I'm not trying to dish anyone who upgrades their skills.
just wondered what DIR meant and things went from there :boom:

Well "BIG" Jim,

You left out the:

"It appears that you could benefit from a number of the concepts that GUE incorporates into their diving approach."

Apparently to twist it around to fit your agenda.

Never said I was right & you were wrong, but that you have a few things to learn about better diving. And as Uncle Pug said "As for GUE... you are not equipped to make a judgment like that."

So what poked you in the belly? Or are you someone who is satisfied with mediocrity?

omar

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
... in the mean time if you ever get to the PNW I'll take you out on my dive boat (for free) and introduce you to the giant Pacific octopus.

If I say Big Jim's a pal, and I brought him to the board ('cuse I like his charter op), and that I just might be in the PNW within the next 6 mths (Seattle in October)... can I take Jim's place? Huh, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom