Dudesesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just in case some forget what tube bending in a proper workshop looks like over here.
A couple of photos I took earlier with no scrap in the place LOL

I guess I just need now to find an old Parker Flare Pin and a lump hammer to keep all you home boys happy.

DSC00301.JPG
DSC00305.JPG

And some styrofoam cups with a rag and spit and drewel in it.
Yep and that was nothing compared to those that would bung "Copenhagen" in their upper jaw
for hours on end. But compared to the Aussie's incessant habit of using the washing machine hoses to make "bongs" making the room so thick with smoke you could cut the fog with a knife,
Any wonder they got the nuts on backward?

Just in case some forget what tube bending in a proper workshop looks like over here.
Anyone one can produce beautiful pieces of equipment with the right tools-it takes an artist to make things that work out of the resources he has available. (Nice equipment, Iain)

When I build things,
I don't build a swiss watch, but it's not a polish shed either. (At least not normally)

I have too many interests, to have the right setup for everything. But with a decent amount of tools, alot of jobs can be done and look good,
It's a poor workman that blames his tools.

This video will be interesting to people who wonder how high production tube production is done. You find these CNC bending machines mostly in aircraft and automotive industries but they are moving down the chain to smaller manufacturers all the time.

It is no surprise that a lot more errors are made when bending tubing than assembly or end-prep. The CNC code that programs these machines is 90%+ generated directly from the 3D solids modeling program.

The CAD (Computer Aided Design) operator specifies the tubing centerline path, the material, and wall thickness. The computer draws the tube and can export the CNC code for the bender that includes spring-back/overbend compensation. It also calculates the assembly weight and parts count.

I have seen CAD/CAM programs (add-ons) that "auto-route" tubing, but the ones I have seen are not great at compensating for the tube insertion in the fitting to allow dis-assembly without taking the whole system apart. It will get there.

The is another problem with this level of automation, if engineers allow it. Tube assemblies can get so complex and require great precise that it makes fabricating replacements in the field almost impossible. You can't wait for a tube assembly from the factory if you are thousands of miles out to sea or any number of remote locations.

I hate to bring this thread back to practical value…

I use this one for stainless tube. It works well. .035 requires a bit of soap on the anvil for every flare.

I used this exact tool — till it broke.

I talked to Ridgid about getting it replaced under the lifetime warranty. First of all, there’s a fair number of hoops you have to jump through, including shipping it off to them at your cost. Second, they said if it was a part that broke because of excessive use, it would not be covered: the warranty only covers flaws in construction. Given that I broke the clutch because of the high force needed for flaring stainless steel, they probably aren’t going to replace it for free.

It seems the days of “drive up to Sears to swap out a broken Craftsman tool instantly and at no cost” are over. :( I’m not even sure where I would find a Sears even! :)

Anyway, one more thing to keep in mind: how you cut the tubing. Stainless steel will work harden: you can make it almost unbendable simply by uncoiling it, let alone bending it. If you use a typical tube cutter like you would for copper, you will work harden the end. Now when you go to flare it, not only will it be very difficult to flare, but there’s a good likelihood it will split, and a high degree of likelihood that there will be at least visual irregularrities in the flare surface.

It’s not that it can’t be done: all of the connections that I’ve done up to this point were made after using a tube cutter. But in talking to Tracy about this previously, he uses an angle grinder or such to cut his tubing. I think that may also be why he had so much better results with the hand flaring tool.

Since I broke my flare tool, fortunately I haven’t had to do any tubing work. But my punchlist is starting to build up, and I’ve been thinking about getting back up to speed. My innate cheapness keeps me looking at flaring, but given the (low) volume that I actually do, and the need to buy a new flaring tool, I’m actually thinking about going to the dark side and using compression fittings. Even “free “JIC connections require spending a few dollars for the ferrule and nut. And in the end the speed and simplicity of the compression fittings is unmistakable.

Sorry guys, no pictures of my ‘ ignorant American farm shed’ for Iain to mock.

The is another problem with this level of automation, if engineers allow it. Tube assemblies can get so complex and require great precise that it makes fabricating replacements in the field almost impossible. You can't wait for a tube assembly from the factory if you are thousands of miles out to sea or any number of remote locations.
This true in other things, some exhaust sys, fuel injection systems
Somethings get way to complex, more then needed...

Here is another quote I like and try to follow...

Albert Einstein. "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction".

Albert Einstein. "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction".

Here is one of my favs:

“ Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler ”

Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

Back
Top Bottom