Dudesesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone tried one of these on 0.035"+ wall Stainless?

From their website…

Flare Degree:37
Flare Types:Single, Double, Bubble
Tubing Size:3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 4.75mm
Tubing Type:Steel, Stainless and Soft Metal
Tubing Thickness:Maximum .030"
With that said, I’d try it and wouldn’t expect it to last forever.

Well, I've been inspired.

My compressor is in a workshop built behind the rear wall of my garage. When I need to fill a tank, I need to take it out of my car, put it on a cart and wheel it around the garage and into the workshop. If I'm lazy, I can *just* reach the tanks while they're still on the the cart at the door of the workshop, but it's right at the edge of the hose length and it's cumbersome blocking the door, so I usually have to drag them into the workshop. Of course, once they're done, to use them I have to reverse that process to get them back into the car.

But over the last couple of days, while I waited for the weather to warm up enough to run my compressor today, I ran some tubing from my compressor through the back wall of the garage and around the walls to the front. When I originally bought the compressor and found that they used Parker A-lok parts to fit the tubes I bought a few pieces in case I needed them quickly, and I was able to use those to be able to terminate the tubing. With a fair bit of planning and a little bit of extra elbow grease I was able to run everything with a single, continuous piece of tubing, so I just needed a fitting for each end.

I ran my compressor today and was able to fill up a couple of sets of doubles sitting in the front of my garage, without schlepping them to the workshop. It worked out really well, so thank you for the inspiration: I've wanted to do that for years! :)

I have one unrelated question. It seems that Parker makes two types of compression fittings: A-lok (which is supposed to be compatible with Swagelok) and Ferulok. The Ferulok is a fraction of the cost of the A-lok. It seems to use a single compression wedge/nut instead of a pair of them like the A-lok/Swagelok. Also, the A-lok parts seem to be stainless and the Ferulok is steel. Is there a significant disadvantage to the Ferulok? At $5-$15 a fitting for Ferulok, I would not hesitate giving up on flared parts. At $15-$50 a fitting for comparable A-lok parts, it's a lot harder to justify, even with the low volume of fittings I would use.

Well, I've been inspired.

My compressor is in a workshop built behind the rear wall of my garage. When I need to fill a tank, I need to take it out of my car, put it on a cart and wheel it around the garage and into the workshop. If I'm lazy, I can *just* reach the tanks while they're still on the the cart at the door of the workshop, but it's right at the edge of the hose length and it's cumbersome blocking the door, so I usually have to drag them into the workshop. Of course, once they're done, to use them I have to reverse that process to get them back into the car.

But over the last couple of days, while I waited for the weather to warm up enough to run my compressor today, I ran some tubing from my compressor through the back wall of the garage and around the walls to the front. When I bought the compressor and found that they used Parker A-lok parts to fit the tubes I bought a few pieces in case I needed them quickly, and I was able to use those to be able to terminate the tubing. With a fair bit of planning and a little bit of extra elbow grease I was able to run everything with a single, continuous piece of tubing, so I just needed a fitting for each end.

I ran my compressor today and was able to fill up a couple of sets of doubles sitting in the front of my garage, without schlepping them to the workshop. It worked out really well, so thank you for the inspiration: I've wanted to do that for years! :)

I have one unrelated question. It seems that Parker makes two types of compression fittings: A-lok (which is supposed to be compatible with Swagelok) and Ferulok. The Ferulok is a fraction of the cost of the A-lok. It seems to use a single compression wedge/nut instead of a pair of them like the A-lok/Swagelok. Also, the A-lok parts seem to be stainless and the Ferulok is steel. Is there a significant disadvantage to the Ferulok? At $5-$15 a fitting for Ferulok, I would not hesitate giving up on flared parts. At $15-$50 a fitting for comparable A-lok parts, it's a lot harder to justify, even with the low volume of fittings I would use.
I have used Hoke, A-lok, Ferulok, and Swedgelok.

They all work equally well, even for 6k psi.

I don't like the steel ferrules on the boat.

In my garage, in Cleveland, I wouldn't hesitate.

Back
Top Bottom