Dudesesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anyone who failed to see that a B-nut had no threads before installing it on a complex line.

I'm guilty. I think it usually happens at the end of the day after ~ 12 hrs and the brain just isn't working anymore. Sometime I really think you start to work backwards after 10-12 hrs.

It happens a lot less now though, but I'm guilty.

I have the Olsen 2002. I don’t know anyone who makes the mistake of forgetting the sleeve and nuts, especially after making complex bends
No kidding. You would have to be a complete idiot to do that.

I don't know anyone who failed to see that a B-nut had no threads before installing it on a complex line.

I have probably seen every combination of mistakes. Nut and/or sleeves missing, in the wrong order, and/or backwards. There are literally thousands of tubing connections on saturation diving systems so it is not surprising. This is just one of three consoles and doesn't show the chambers, bells, gas banks, compressors, and reclaim systems.

1645632773683.png

I have probably seen every combination of mistakes. Nut and/or sleeves missing, in the wrong order, and/or backwards. There are literally thousands of tubing connections on saturation diving systems so it is not surprising. This is just one of three consoles and doesn't show the chambers, bells, gas banks, compressors, and reclaim systems.

View attachment 708720
Not on a Stolt Nielsen (post Seaway) system design you haven't and not in that photo.
We were made of better stuff back then.

I think your mistaking the flairs on backwards problem being caused by those Yankee dude's out of Sub Sea International Tyseal Base yard with stuff cobbled together by Californian blond haired "Surfer Dude's" using nothing more than rope soap and dope with a Parker catalogue a Buck knife and a Crescent wrench.

Seaway's paid divers more and always hired a better class of diver who spoke better English and didn't fill those little polystyrene cups on dive control with Red Man chewing tobacco spit.

Heck I guess we are all either dead or senile old duffers now as that photo must be over 40 years old by now and you can tell easy. More clock dials on the wall than Big Ben and that ancient Teledyne 320B by the op's head is so old that Noah would have been proud of it on the Ark.

Iain ex diver for Stolt Neilsen Seaway (Seaway Swan, Stephaniturm) and before that Sub Sea International (Oil Endeavour, Kattenturm, and a bunch of others and yet still very careful of cold black "coffee" in cups on a Yankee dive spread.

And why dive control panels in the North Sea Sat Systems are angled towards the ops lap. At least now you know.

Not on a Stolt Nielsen (post Seaway) system design you haven't and not in that photo.
We were made of better stuff back then.

Trust me, plenty of mistakes were made, they just never made it out the door.

Fortunately, building a tube assembly wrong almost never makes it into even the worst of products because it won't connect or hold gas. One of the nice things about JIC is you can cut the tube and salvage all the expensive stainless nuts and sleeves. Making 30+ identical tube assemblies and hundreds of different assemblies can get pretty mind-numbing, especially when working long hours. Stuff happens.

:hijack:
I think your mistaking the flairs on backwards problem being caused by those Yankee dude's out of Sub Sea International Tyseal Base yard with stuff cobbled together by Californian blond haired "Surfer Dude's" using nothing more than rope soap and dope with a Parker catalogue a Buck knife and a Crescent wrench.

To be fair, Seaway owned their DSVs and never had to deal with portable systems moved between vessels of opportunity on short-term contracts. The entire ship went off contract if the divers didn't perform well. It made no sense to hire lower tier people to save a few Kroner and have a ship tied to the pier and off-contract worth tens of millions.

Companies that came out of the US Gulf of Mexico in the 1960s and 70s were built on a very different business model, which has gone largely extinct in the sat market. There was only so much they could invest in hardware and people and remain competitive.

Mark Banjavich of Taylor was able to spend a lot more than SubSea or Oceaneering because he found a customer in Brown & Root that would pay whatever it took to get their pipelines installed on time. Brown & Root got contracts because they could run pipe from both ends faster than the competition and Taylor could weld them together in the middle before anyone else could. SubSea, Oceaneering, and Comex were hindered by starting their companies by serving exploration (drill rigs) first.

As you know, exploration phase is much more competitive and high risk. The production phase (platform and pipelines) is a completely different business because the interest on hundreds of millions (billions today) is so high that spending whatever it takes to get oil and gas flowing faster pencils out.

The cost of the sat system on a DSV is far less important if it makes the whole ship worth more because divers can work more days/year, hours/day, and get more jobs done. I wish I understood all this when I got out of the Navy.
:topic:

Trust me, plenty of mistakes were made, they just never made it out the door.

Fortunately, building a tube assembly wrong almost never makes it into even the worst of products because it won't connect or hold gas. One of the nice things about JIC is you can cut the tube and salvage all the expensive stainless nuts and sleeves. Making 30+ identical tube assemblies and hundreds of different assemblies can get pretty mind-numbing, especially when working long hours. Stuff happens.

:hijack:

To be fair, Seaway owned their DSVs and never had to deal with portable systems moved between vessels of opportunity on short-term contracts. The entire ship went off contract if the divers didn't perform well. It made no sense to hire lower tier people to save a few Kroner and have a ship tied to the pier and off-contract worth tens of millions.

Companies that came out of the US Gulf of Mexico in the 1960s and 70s were built on a very different business model, which has gone largely extinct in the sat market. There was only so much they could invest in hardware and people and remain competitive.

Mark Banjavich of Taylor was able to spend a lot more than SubSea or Oceaneering because he found a customer in Brown & Root that would pay whatever it took to get their pipelines installed on time. Brown & Root got contracts because they could run pipe from both ends faster than the competition and Taylor could weld them together in the middle before anyone else could. SubSea, Oceaneering, and Comex were hindered by starting their companies by serving exploration (drill rigs) first.

As you know, exploration phase is much more competitive and high risk. The production phase (platform and pipelines) is a completely different business because the interest on hundreds of millions (billions today) is so high that spending whatever it takes to get oil and gas flowing faster pencils out.

The cost of the sat system on a DSV is far less important if it makes the whole ship worth more because divers can work more days/year, hours/day, and get more jobs done. I wish I understood all this when I got out of the Navy.
:topic:
I trust only in God, all others need to verify.

But your kidding right? with Brown & Root getting contracts because they could run pipe from both ends faster.

This being the same Brown & Root who paid out a $402 million dollar fine on bribery charges for paying some $130 million dollars to illegally bribe officials to obtain contracts.

And why some reading this may wonder why a poor girl in the records office was sacked after enquiring why the same submitted weld inspection X-ray photo on the pipe runs were of the same exact photo? time and time again, Any wonder why they could run pipe faster now? Yeah right trust me. LOL

I trust only in God, all others need to verify.

I was there when those consoles were designed, built, and tested at the Saturation Systems factory in San Marcos, California — along with the rest of the system. I took this image when one of the three consoles shipped out to Finland to be installed on the Seaway Swan semisubmersible.

1645664284299.png

1645664891992.png
Here is another console for the gas king. The top is the bank sampling and analysis panel and the bottom is the gas distribution manifold panel.

Here is an image of conical view ports for the DNV 500M rated deck chambers in the pressure vessel shop.

1645665419013.png

I have been in most of the shops that built sat systems in Europe and the US. I have not seen one that never made a mistake fabricating tubing. Sorry, I don't have a photo of the scrap stainless tubing pile to verify that that errors were made.

I was there when those consoles were designed, built, and tested at the Saturation Systems factory in San Marcos, California — along with the rest of the system. I took this image when one of the three consoles shipped out to Finland to be installed on the Seaway Swan semisubmersible.

View attachment 708779Here is another console for the gas king. The top is the bank sampling and analysis panel and the bottom is the gas distribution manifold panel.

Here is an image of conical view ports for the DNV 500M rated deck chambers in the pressure vessel shop.

View attachment 708780

I have been in most of the shops that built sat systems in Europe and the US. I have not seen one that never made a mistake fabricating tubing. Sorry, I don't have a photo of the scrap stainless tubing pile to verify that that errors were made.

What…………. this is Don Rodocker’s old Saturation Systems set up?. You know the guy now making an RTD2 that swims in water or is it a photo of the back end of a junk yard job lot sale.

Cos It looks to me like a cross between a scrap yard derby and a farm yard fire sale.
Now I’m no expert on American farm yard junk but my guess is that others reading these posts
can’t tell the difference between a state of the art Yankee dive system and the farm yard cow either.

Now some may wonder why Don Rodocker bailed out of the good old USA and started working with us Brits. Heck even Al Krasberg made an appearance.

I heard Saturation Systems would have launched their version of a portable sat system like Sub Sea. Photo below is of the finished product. Don can be seen up top in the drivers seat and you can just see Alex Copson behind the cow milking it LOL

Saturation Systems fly away sat .jpg

Just Saying LOL

Now some may wonder why Don Rodocker bailed out of the good old USA and started working with us Brits.
Y'all needed the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom