Dudesesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok...so still begs the question what inexpensive tool would flare 37° stainless tubing that anyone here would recommend?

My nomenclature was derived from my experience with gas lines... and I'm a redneck:)
Use a 45 degree tool. It will seal fine.

Ok...so still begs the question what inexpensive tool would flare 37° stainless tubing that anyone here would recommend?

My nomenclature was derived from my experience with gas lines... and I'm a redneck:)
.035 wall? I haven’t run into a hand tool (cheap) that will flare either seamed or seamless that thick.

Yeah need to learn how to spell:wink:

Compression fittings, like the Swagelok brand, use one or two-piece ferrules behind the nut that "bite" into the tubing.

The ones we used were not like that..
Not sure of the name, I'll have to ask my hydraulic guys they have them...

.035 wall? I haven’t run into a hand tool (cheap) that will flare either seamed or seamless that thick.
What size? I've flared lots of 1/4-.035 with a standard 45 degree flare tool. I clamp it in a vice to improve the hold on the tubing.

The least expensive tool that I find works reliably on stainless tubing are the vise block with flaring pin style. A good quality bench vise is required. Hydraulics supply houses usually stock them.

What size? I've flared lots of 1/4-.035 with a standard 45 degree flare tool. I clamp it in a vice to improve the hold on the tubing.
I saw that on YouTube. I never thought of using a tool that way.

I guess if you have thousands of 1/4 and 3/8 swagelok fittings and a $4500 flaring tool available, you don’t need to beat a hand tool with a hammer or set it in a vice. I’m lucky that way.

What is "Dudesesses"? Is that a female dude?

Do we know who created this interesting document other than someone in the northeastern US?

I have a 45° flaring tool, but it's meant for copper. I don't think that will work? It does do heavy duty K copper, but I've never tried SS.

Screenshot_20220221-214843_Chrome.jpg

I have a 45° flaring tool, but it's meant for copper. I don't think that will work? It does do heavy duty K copper, but I've never tried SS.

View attachment 708491

I've used one on steel brake line, it worked but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. The unit Akimbo linked probably would have been easier.

View attachment 708491
Mine are the simple clamp together kind. I have a full stock of 1/4 fittings and have used it for a lot of connections. frogman62 told me he believes the 45 deg flare seals better. I don't know, but it seals fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom