Duane or Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to state information that is absolutely untrue. Rainbow Reef charges $75.00 per 2 tank dive trip...INCLUDING a guide. If you dive with them for 3 days, you get a discount which brings the price down to $70.00 per 2 tank trip. If you dive even longer - for 5 days, you achieve a greater discount, bringing the price down to $65.00 per trip.

And you are not paying for something you don't want/need. The guide is completely optional - your choice, but the price is the same either way. I checked the websites of several shops in the Key Largo area. This price is certainly very reasonable when compared with others.

For the Rainbow/Conch/Ocean fanboy mafia?

YES.

People don't realize that these are cattleboat operations, 20-35 divers on each boat. You'll wait 10 minutes to get in, and 10 to get out. You'll have little room, and be stuck underwater with the thundering herd. You'll be going to the same dozen or so sites, same as every other operation (save a very few), and now have to contend with their thundering herd.

How's that enjoyable?

Last time we conversed on this, you finally admitted you'd never been on any of these boats you seem to so freely comment on and have no first hand experience with any of them. So how come you're so knowlegable? How do you know any of your representations are true?

I've been out with Conch and never waited to get in or out of the boat (don't know about the others since I've not been out with them). Maybe I've been lucky but I've only had a full boat a few times, but even then there was room to spread out and no problem getting back on board. Their main boat is big! On Conch's small boat, the trips have been with 2-6 divers (similar to Quiescence).

Like you, I think Quiecence is great for someone looking for a sixpack. But in rough seas, sixpacks suck. If a diver is coming to the keys solo, the possibility of getting stuck on a small boat with divers you might not care for, sucks. A six pack is not what every diver is looking for.

Unlike you, I've been all the boats I comment on in posts on SB.

So who is the real 'fan boy' here???

Last edited:
So how about everyone stop hijacking this thread and get back to the original topic:

DUANE OR SPIEGEL GROVE?

For the Rainbow/Conch/Ocean fanboy mafia?

YES.

People don't realize that these are cattleboat operations, 20-35 divers on each boat. You'll wait 10 minutes to get in, and 10 to get out. You'll have little room, and be stuck underwater with the thundering herd. You'll be going to the same dozen or so sites, same as every other operation (save a very few), and now have to contend with their thundering herd.

How's that enjoyable?

Hey T.C.,

I've also gone out many times with OD with only 2 divers on the boat, especially on the Sunday afternoon wreck dive to the Duane, or now, the Spiegel Grove. Not many operators will guarantee that, but would cancel due to an inadequate number of divers. With their larger, stable boats, they reliably go out in rougher, but safe, seas. That has also been an advantage to me on numerous occasions when other operators were not going out.

Personally, I arrive early, get myself a good spot at the stern and make sure I'm among the first off and the last back. I often don't even see the majority of other divers from the boat and don't have to deal with them getting off or on.

As Richard points out, to each their own. Part of it is attitude and what one is willing to do maximize their own enjoyment. First, you have to reliably get out to the dive site, then, you can have fun.

Good diving, Craig

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 02:28 PM ----------

So how about everyone stop hijacking this thread and get back to the original topic:

DUANE OR SPIEGEL GROVE?

Yes!!

Last time we conversed on this, you finally admitted you'd never been on any of these boats you seem to so freely comment on and have no first hand experience with any of them. So how come you're so knowlegable? How do you know any of your representations are true?

I've been out with Conch and never waited to get in or out of the boat (don't know about the others since I've not been out with them). Maybe I've been lucky but I've only had a full boat a few times, but even then there was room to spread out and no problem getting back on board. Their main boat is big! On Conch's small boat, the trips have been with 2-6 divers (similar to Quiescence).

Like you, I think Quiecence is great for someone looking for a sixpack. But in rough seas, sixpacks suck. If a diver is coming to the keys solo, the possibility of getting stuck on a small boat with divers you might not care for, sucks. A six pack is not what every diver is looking for.

Unlike you, I've been all the boats I comment on in posts on SB.

So who is the real 'fan boy' here???
Wrong. I've seen these boats. I don't need to be crammed on like cattle to see that they suck. I have yet to see any of these boats at less than 3/4 full. And that's pretty packed.

Yeah, you may get very, very lucky and not get a full boat. But the odds are against you. The odds are that you'll end up on a cattleboat operation; after all, that's what these places do, cram divers in to maximize profits.

I've been in the "rough seas" in the Keys. Those big boats were rocking just as bad. Second, a large boat just means more people you may not like. At least with QDS, you can switch boats.

I've also gone out many times with OD with only 2 divers on the boat, especially on the Sunday afternoon wreck dive to the Duane, or now, the Spiegel Grove. Not many operators will guarantee that, but would cancel due to an inadequate number of divers.

Never seen an Op cancel for two...unless they're running a large boat that makes that unprofitable. With QDS, they'll run with 2, but I've never seen them have to.

Personally, I arrive early, get myself a good spot at the stern and make sure I'm among the first off and the last back. I often don't even see the majority of other divers from the boat and don't have to deal with them getting off or on.

And what happens when a larger group gets there first?

are any mainstream op.s out of Key Largo taking people out cheaper? If so, how much cheaper?
Yes. I just booked QDS for 14 dives at $27.94 a dive. Your other places don't offer a bring your own tank discount or military discount. QDS also gives the 5th trip 1/2 price.

And I'm not paying for a guide you don't need in the Keys.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to state information that is absolutely untrue.

You think the guide is volunteering? That they're working for no pay?

You pay for the guide. It's built into the charter price.

And you are not paying for something you don't want/need.
Yes, you are. Does anyone really need a guide in the Keys? Or are you just paying for something you don't need?

As I was saying...I REALLY love diving the Spiegel Grove! She is the most impressive wreck! You can never go wrong diving the Spiegel Grove - unless of course you find a REALLY clear day with minimal current. In that case, the Duane is also a REALLY great dive!

Does anyone really need a guide in the Keys?

Yes, and I suspect it's a lot of people. Even many people who could get back to the boat without one like the convenience of not having to task load with the bother of navigation. Plus guides often know their way around a site much better than some one who's never been to it.

Richard.

Yes, and I suspect it's a lot of people. Even many people who could get back to the boat without one like the convenience of not having to task load with the bother of navigation. Plus guides often know their way around a site much better than some one who's never been to it.

Richard.
The keys don't have fixed interesting items for a guide to take you around. What is interesting about a site always has a mooring ball right on it. Things like the winch hole, Christ of the deep, Benwood, or City, the site is right under the boat.

In the Keys, you're often only 30-35 ft down. If you're lost, you can go up to the surface, find the boat, then dive back. It's simple. You don't need to navigate. There's a reason that one operation's slogan is "no stress diving".

For the deep wrecks, you go in and out on the same line.

So again, Does anyone really need a guide in the Keys?

For what it's worth, I like big boats and six-packs. I chose Quiescence because I am more likely to get to pick the dive sites, they have a good reputation, they'll let me dive my tank, not a clock (within reason), and I like trying to "spread the wealth" so to speak.

I've been on "cattle boats" and 40 person live-aboards with no problems at all waiting to get in or out of the water. Even if there is, that's part of the process, no big deal. I'm more inclined to like larger boats because I get seasick but I've dealt with that before and likely will again so I don't pick boats strictly based upon size.

With Quiescence and the other smaller ops, getting to pick the sites or do the "I want a guide this time and I don't mind paying" is nice. In the end, the extra cost just isn't that big a factor and whether RR or Conch put a guide in the water or not isn't particularly relevant when prices are comparable all around the area. I didn't find any shops (of the 4 or 5 I spoke with) that were more than $15 price difference for a 2 tank trip. I think the larger shops offer better "bulk" discounts for multiple days diving with them, but we're only in the keys for 3 days and probably only averaging 3 dives per day so we're not really gaining any of those discounts anyway.

So now the countdown begins. I'll let everyone know what we went with once we get down there and actually get wet. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom