Duane or Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My brother and I have an upcoming trip and we'll be diving with Quiescence for three days out of Largo. One day we're planning to do some deep(er) dives and they mentioned both the Duane and Spiegel Grove as options. I don't know a lot about either except that they both can get some strong currents.

Which would you dive (if you had to pick one) and why?

Any other good "deep" options off Largo that I should add as potential sites?

Both are great dives but if I had to choose just one, I'd pick the S. Grove.

For me it is a more interesting dive because of its huge size: both the length and beam. The 'architecture' is also more interesting with the cranes and big wheelhouse and all the assorted stuff on the deck. Additionally, the deck is a little shallower than the deck of the Duane so you can get a bit longer of a dive. I still like the Duane, but I like the Speigle Grove better.

If you're in the Keys for three days: dive both!

I also enjoy the Eagle wreck: it was split into two sections during a storm and is architecturally interesting. Plus I see turtles, goliath grouper and other large marine creatures on every dive.

If you don't have your Nitrox cert. get it before you come or you'll have very limited bottom time

Last edited:
Sportxlh, thanks for the tip about the Eagle. I had read about it before but didn't remember it. Seems I definitely hear a lot more about the SG than the Duane and was already leaning that way. I'll have to talk with my brother and see what he thinks. We'll be diving HP100s with Nitrox so down time should be more than reasonable for us to get a good eyeful of either wreck. Don't know if it will be a double dip or what... it's a 2 tank "deep" dive morning for us though so we're going to do our best to enjoy it.

I've dove both the Duane and the SG. If I could only dive one or the other then I would choose the SG. There are three buoys that your dive boat can use to attach on the Duane. If you descend the stern line, your depth is 106 feet. There are many more lines on the SG. I've descended on line #6 twice and that is around 67 feet. You can start deeper on the other lines but you're not starting at 106 feet like on the Duane. I like both wrecks but I think the SG offers more to see and more dive time. Plus the SG has two resident Goliath Groupers hanging out in the passageways behind the bridge.

Sportxlh, thanks for the tip about the Eagle. I had read about it before but didn't remember it. Seems I definitely hear a lot more about the SG than the Duane and was already leaning that way. I'll have to talk with my brother and see what he thinks. We'll be diving HP100s with Nitrox so down time should be more than reasonable for us to get a good eyeful of either wreck. Don't know if it will be a double dip or what... it's a 2 tank "deep" dive morning for us though so we're going to do our best to enjoy it.

FJ: Silent World does a double dip on the Spiegle Grove. Sometimes Conch Republic does as well. Last year, Conch did the Duane and SG on one outing. A dip on the Duane first followed by the SG. As an FYI, Conch Republic also goes to the Eagle regularly.

With Quiescence you should be able to have input into the dive site. I've been out with them a couple of times and they usually let the divers (or at least the first to make a reservation) decide where to go. If you wanted to do a double dip or combine the Duane and the SG on one dive, I'm sure they can get it done.

I did 3 dives on the Spiegel Grove, one on the Duane. In a group with depth and a bit of current, diving air, times were a bit short. Max. depth on the Spiegel was around 90 feet, on the Duane 106 feet, if I recall my log correctly.

I agree on gloves for the mooring lines; they've got barnacles on them.

Richard.

I've done the Speigel Grove, the Duane, and the Bibb more than a few times. The Speigel Grove is one of my favorite dives. Swim thought the props at 143 feet. More than can be seen on one dive. Have only made dives from a private boat, so can not speak to local boats.

I would also dive the Speigel Grove. Bring gloves. You can enjoy quite a bit of the wreck at 65 to 75 feet so your gas will last longer. Also, if you are on a two tank dive boat then you can dive the SG a second time on the same day. There's way too much to see, with the limited bottom time, to just dive it once. Frankly, two dives will only get you started. The ship is stunning. Don't forget that while you're in Key Largo you can also dive the Benwood and the City of Washington wrecks but neither are close to the grandeur of the Speigel Grove or the Duane, for that matter. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom