Duane or Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Markham off NC is a sideways wreck. Current tends to come at it from the bottom side. So on a higher current day you can swim down the walkways which are now open above you.

Bill would like the Markham

Attachments

• coral2p1000.jpg
    coral2p1000.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
  • coral3p1000.jpg
    coral3p1000.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 72
diving the bibb is much more problematic than the duane or SG in mdt/strong currents. it's practically undoable, you'll burn a cylinder real quick. no place to hold on but the hull and few areas to totally avoid the current(and those are deep, below 100FT). if you can descend via mooring line or a hot drop on the duane or SG(in strong currents) there are numerous areas in which to escape the current until your ascent(and some of those are as shallow as 65-70FT). also, without the vertical structure of the duane and SG(both sunk upright), the bibb supports far less density of fishlife/coral/soft coral, not even close. whatever sites you decide on your dive days, rest assured, you'll get great advice from your crew. quiescence has collectively the most locally experienced captains in the upper keys, no operator comes close. have fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Awesome question, both are absolutely amazing. I have lived in Key Largo nearly my entire life, Quiescence actually certified me, keep an eye out for a guy named Colby. Colby is one of the best divers they have. As for your question, I would go with the speigal. The speigal has so much more size and a really easy swim through that you can go through even if you are "newer" to diving. The Duane's swim throughs are much more complex and cramped. You also have a stong chance of seeing the legendary 300lb grouper and its mama the 400lb grouper. Dive On!!!

Preston Davie

reefman/ DiverDavie; finally; we get a little counter to the Rainbow/Conch/Ocean/just-about-all-the-rest fanboy mafia.:D

reefman/ DiverDavie; finally; we get a little counter to the Rainbow/Conch/Ocean/just-about-all-the-rest fanboy mafia.:D

Amen to that

You recommend who you've had a good experience with, is there a problem with that?? Do you think all these recommendations are unreliable??

Do you think all these recommendations are unreliable??
For the Rainbow/Conch/Ocean fanboy mafia?

YES.

People don't realize that these are cattleboat operations, 20-35 divers on each boat. You'll wait 10 minutes to get in, and 10 to get out. You'll have little room, and be stuck underwater with the thundering herd. You'll be going to the same dozen or so sites, same as every other operation (save a very few), and now have to contend with their thundering herd.

How's that enjoyable?

When I dove with Rainbow Reef back in September, there were 2 guides and so 2 different groups, I don't think either group had over 6 divers and I dove with them 20 dives over 5 days. I imagine there are busier times of year, but at least on my trip I didn't feel like I was in a crowd. Not everyone who goes along goes with guided groups; there was an instructor teaching students in some dive professional pursuit, for example.

I was happy to visit mainstream named sites.

One of the contentious topics on ScubaBoard is the reliable of many vacation divers on guides for navigation for the dive and to get back to the boat. Well, people can gripe about it till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, many vacation divers want and need guides, and Rainbow Reef puts guides in the water at no added charge.

Little different from paying for a bus tour in a strange town. Some people will not be good at navigation regardless of how much they mess with it, and many people would rather enjoy the dive than be preoccupied with navigation.

I went off on this tangent because on another thread where someone endorsed another op. as an alternative, it turned out the other op. didn't put guides in the water as part of the standard service. And private dive guides can cost quite a bit of money. Most people don't need a personal guide; a group leader to follow around and back to the boat will suffice.

Different strokes and different folks. One size does not fit all. Rainbow Reef Dive Center isn't going to be the right choice for every diver, but it's a very good choice for a lot of us.

Richard.

Rainbow Reef puts guides in the water at no added charge.
They do charge for this. They just build it into the cost of the entire charter so you don't see it.

With a private guide, at least you're not paying for something you don't want/need.

I did Rainbow Reef's best value package deal, 10 2-tank boat trips (20 dives) for $600, plus tax. That cranks out to pre-tax, pre-tip cost of $30/dive. With guide.

I haven't had a cheaper warm water, good viz. charter boat ocean dive with anybody else yet.

While I understand your point, I doubt people diving unguided are diving cheaper than I did. Granted, that was Rainbow Reef's best package deal value at the time, but are any mainstream op.s out of Key Largo taking people out cheaper? If so, how much cheaper?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom