dual outlet valve on single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree entirely, And if your double valve also has the good old reserve, as my one, then you can even forget to keep constantly an eye on your SPG...
There's the SP Mk 7, too. But I don't think I can fit two Mk 7's, or a Mk7 and a Mk 10 (together), on my old Y-valve.

rx7diver

Dude you'd be quickly buried head first in the bottom

Hey I shore dive current manifolded 55s with a reg in the RH post and nothing in the left

Is that y or how or why

The dual outlet single cylinder valve either Y valve or H valve has long since gone out of favor with today’s technical training agencies.
PADI standards for Tech 40 and TDI/SDI standards for Intro to Cave, Solo, and perhaps others, explicitly allow an H or Y-valve. It is not gone yet.

The dual outlet single cylinder valve either Y valve or H valve has long since gone out of favor with today’s technical training agencies. What was popular 20-30 years ago is not acceptable now. Twin cylinders either backmount independent or manifold doubles or sidemount is what is being practiced today. After 36 years of Great Lakes wreck diving and now 24 years of cave diving you won’t see dual outlet valves anymore.
You will if you dive the Great Lakes with me.

I’m with you on this one, I got the idea from you :wink:

I think the concern is the corrosion on the exposed brass. While that might be a real concern I can’t see how that affects the seal in any way and I used them anyways. The former shop manager is a good buddy of mine, he’s the one who scoffed at it. I’ve since decided I can’t stand the angled valves so they’ve been replaced.

Anyone need an angled 7/8’s manifold with machined plugs?
For the future, it works on the cut off 300 bar valves as well. Silver sharpie covers that exposed brass and looks like dull chrome.
Perfection!

... Two tanks, manifolded, one 1st stage, one 2nd stage. (No one does this any more).

:happywave:

Military solid bar manifold (with reserve) on a pair of al63s, and a modern center post manifold on a pair of lp50s. These are nice with my DH....

I do however have an octo....

Military solid-bar, single-outlet manifold with J-valve on a pair of OMS/Faber LP45's/50's.

Except, like @rhwestfall, I use an octopus with.

DH_Safe_Second_20210815.jpeg.

rx7diver

For the future, it works on the cut off 300 bar valves as well. Silver sharpie covers that exposed brass and looks like dull chrome.
Perfection!

I’m not far from facing my 300 bar valves ….

LOL Well, there's always a few old farts who refuse to get with the times....
I have plenty of modern gear....

And I believe you are older than me....

how often is this configuration used by people?
and can you think of a time when it proved to be useful? (or you wish that you'd had that set-up?)
H-valve (or y-valve) is what it's normally called.

When would it be useful?
  • You can generally insolate either side, providing almost (but not quite) complete redundancy for regulator failures of any kind.
  • For very cold waters, if one regulator freezes, you can use the other.
  • For very cold waters, when air-sharing, you'd have twice as much air cooling a single first-stage.
The downsides of the h-valve setup are:
  • You have to buy a bunch of valves.
  • Rental tanks will practically never have h-valves.
  • If you run out of air in the tank, 2 regulators doesn't help. (compared to the pony-bottle, sidemount, or independent doubles)
  • A slight increase in bulk.
Do I wish to use that setup myself? Mostly no, but that's because I mostly dive solo, in warm waters, recreational depths, and have alternatives:
  • Sidemount, with 2 full size bottles, and 2 independent regulators.
  • A pony bottle, also an independent air-source and regulator.
That said, I could potentially see an h-valve being useful in tech-diving or cave diving, so I'm not one to say never.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom