dSMB with Co2 cartridges inflate method

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any experience of this dSMB which has a Co2 cartridge attached to it

you pull a cord and the Co2 inflates the bag, replace the cartridge after it is used

have they ever failed on you
the one i'm looking at can also be inflated using dry suit hose or regulator

i want something that is easy to inflate and small, my current dSMBi with a crack bottle is too large for me to carry around

thanks

V

What would fail?

exactly, what would fail?!

i watched my friend setting one of these off while kneeling on a six meter platform in the lake
there was an explosion of bubbles, the dsmb did not inflate and she dropped the spool and it rolled away

is this common?

thanks

I don't know anyone who uses one, and have never used one myself - but it seems logical to me that there are more failure possibilities than with an oral or exhaust-inflate SMB

Also I would guess that there is a possibility of accidental inflation, however slight

Rare as those situations probably are, I can't see a reason to go that way, for the type of diving that I do

My $0.02, hopefully the bump will help garner an answer from someone with actual experience :)

i want something that is easy to inflate and small, my current dSMBi with a crack bottle is too large for me to carry around

thanks

V

Venus

I have only ever seen these used as an emergency delayed which is why most are yellow. When you say carry around do you mean on holidays ? Can you take CO2 cartridges on a plane ?

You already have a selection including the Halcyon oral / dry suit inflate why bother with something else.

If you want a CO2 one then there are cheaper options than the NAS one.

Aquatec UK

CO2 inflators are compressed gas and not allowed on an airplane, but only if they know about it.

Modern CO2 detonators are reliable and have some things to recommend. Inflation is quick and does not place any extra workload on the diver who may be struggling with several things at once.

The detonators from decades ago were subject to corrosion but the newer types are plastic and stainless steel. Even so, as the cylinder is plated steel the devices should be inspected from time to time. Check corrosion and confirm that the end has not been punctured. Also, the correct cylinder must be used to avoid over-pressurization of the bag. At depth, the bag will not fully inflate but expands as the signal rises to surface.

Spearfishermen use similar devices for certain activities.

Hi Fiona - How are you?

I was thinking for UK diving, because I want something that is 'easy' to use

overseas I'm ok with a manual reg filling

Thanks - I'll take a look at the link below

but, I may have to put it on hold as I have to buy a new pony or move onto double sevens
and, this year my trips are going to cost me more due to the weakening pound :redhot:

When you say carry around do you mean on holidays ?

If you want a CO2 one then there are cheaper options than the NAS one.

Aquatec UK

Hello, this is a different question but I'm looking to buy a co2 detonator, do you have any idea who makes them and if so where I can find them online? Or even just to buy one separately.

thank you,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom