Dry Suit inflator hoses - Which 1st Stage for which hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squeeze is the last thing I'm worried about when an air share situation is happening... Getting out of the situation is...

The reg in my mouth (bungied octo) and my lpi for my wing are in my control as to when they are used (avoiding the same time).

I don't know when the guy on my primary is going to breathe.

Any cold-rated first stage should be able to handle two stressed-out divers with an elevated breathing rate sharing air without free-flowing. I think both the EN250 and US Navy specs call for 62.5 litres/min (2.2 cuft/min) in cold water at 6 ATA. Worrying about a short squirt into the wing or suit at the same time as a normal breath seems ... unnecessary.

What I do know is; I have dived 3 of the Great Lakes with a single 80 and dry suit and doubles with dry suit, Ice dived in 18 degree surface and 34 degree water, all of the quarries in Indiana and Ohio to depth all 12 months of the year, sharing gas as both donor and receiver in both configurations with dry suit, with BC on right and dry suit on left and never had any issues with free flow due to freezing 1st stage. I have dived these diaphragm and piston. Which in my opinion a 1st stage set to higher the spec'ed IP or one with creep is where someone would most likely have a problem.

However, we were on Huron one time (back around 2007 and don't remember the wreck), when every Apex (at least 2 or 3} had free flow issues.

But... that's not how DIR rig it. Will have the Hog police on you! 👮‍♂️🚓

The most important thing is to have the wing & suit separated.

BTW if you've got a separate suit inflate bottle, this will be rigged (ass-u-me DIR) on the LHS.
Hmmm. I read an article that was recently linked in a SB post in which William "Hogarth" Main states that he, himself, does NOT cross his inflator hoses, IIRC.

Maybe someone will find that post before I do...

ETA: Here is @Nemrod's post that links that article: Dive knives when out with a DM

rx7diver

William "Hogarth" Main states that he, himself, does NOT cross his inflator hoses
That is true, because he prioritizes early warning of a left-post rolloff in a cave environment. Nor does he typically have a suit inflator hose at all ( because he uses a wetsuit). I have no idea what configuration he would use in an OW+drysuit scenario.

I was using a Duracell, Ok I will go and get some Energizer Ultimates,

Cheers

I had the same behavior last weekend, just that it died under water. No big deal, because I had a backup which shortly before the other died also showed a battery warning. Both computers worked again back home. My fault, I should have changed batteries when they hit 1.2 V.

Best wishes Jens

From first principles: the wing and drysuit inflators MUST be connected to different sides: if you turn off your longhose, then you've lost the wing but you've got your drysuit and vice-versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom