Dry Suit inflator hoses - Which 1st Stage for which hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went out a got some Energiser "Litihium" batteries, to be very honest I didn't even know that they existed unitl I read this post.

Also after changing it I saw that the Shearwater has a dedicated selection for the 1.5V Lithium batteries.. :) We learn something new every day... That's one of those things that we tend to skim over and forget when reading the manuals...

In fact I didn't even know of the existance of half of the batteries that we can use

Factors Affecting Battery Life on Shearwater Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

I spoke with the wife after reading the various responses, she agreed with this method, in case of a primary reg failure the most important thing is to breath and get back to the surface, so it makes sense so ensure that the BCD/Wing can be used for the task, it is after all it's only purpose ;-). Whereas the suit would probably work, depending on how balanced you were , is not intentionally made as a buoyancy compensation device ;-).

So we are going to change our hoses and go with the Wing Left, Suit Right method..
Quick question. Are you diving with a single cylinder with a Y valve or a manifolded twinset? This may alter peoples suggestions.

Quick question. Are you diving with a single cylinder with a Y valve or a manifolded twinset? This may alter peoples suggestions.

Twinset, 2 * 10ltr and due to the manifold the hose lengths are important.

If you dive using the suit for warmth, and wing for buoyancy, a right post (primary) off leaves you with the wing on the left and functioning as well as oral inflation. With a failure, I'm ending a dive (going up). No need for more air for my dry suit, in fact I will be venting..

Wing left, suit right...
I will also add that in the event of an air share, with the wing on the same stage as the bungied octo, I control when air is used for a breadth or inflation off that stage, not a chance of both with someone else on the reg and me on the wing. This is COLD water diving here (Great Lakes).

No need for more air for my dry suit, in fact I will be venting.
If you're headed directly for the surface, you don't need either inflator hose to work. (You're venting both suit and wing.) In other words, that case does not push you off the fence, and you'd need to consider a different scenario for a logical decision. For instance, what happens if you can't go directly to the surface? (There was a recent thread where this happened due to boat traffic.) During the swim back, let's say you reach your arm up (for whatever reason) and the suit burps. Or you go head-up (for whatever reason) which vents the suit. Either way, there's more squeeze than intended. You're colder than intended. Trim is also impacted somewhat, making for a harder swim & more air burned. (That recent thread was also low on air.)

It just seems strange to me to intentionally set things up so that the most likely regulator failure mandates a second failure. YMMV.

Yet my instructor and another somewhat highly regarded instructor do the same....

I'd also expect you have a skill set to connect/disconnect lpi hoses...

Yet my instructor and another somewhat highly regarded instructor do the same....
Assuming we’re thinking of the same people, those two are(were) among the only ones I can name that teach such a thing.

I will also add that in the event of an air share, with the wing on the same stage as the bungied octo, I control when air is used for a breadth or inflation off that stage, not a chance of both with someone else on the reg and me on the wing.
I'll take your word for it that single-use is worth worrying about in such conditions, but I think you have it backwards. First of all as the donor, with either routing you control when the left post is being used for a breath or inflation (of whatever it's attached to). However, your wing-left/suit-right routing could see double-duty on the right post (buddy's air & your suit). The suit-left/wing-right routing can guarantee one use at a time (oral inflation of the wing leaving buddy's air as the only thing hitting that regulator).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom