Dry Suit inflator hoses - Which 1st Stage for which hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you using Energizer Ultimate lithium batteries in your Perdix? Shearwater recommends those for cold water (and for all water temps now)

I must admit that I don't like having them crossed but I have no reason for this other than the aesthetic...
see post post #8 above mine - cold water and reduce stress on the first stage.

To me it makes the most sense to have the inflator for your primary buoyancy whether it be dry-suit or wing, on the opposite post to your primary regulator reducing the work of the primary and helping to avoid free-flow in cold water.

Yes, I can understand this reasoning. Since I use the wing as my primary buoyancy device then I suppose that I should actually switch the hoses to the opposite ports.

I must admit that I absolutely no idea about the quantity of air require/used during a dive for the Wing compared to the Dry Suit and again that would depend on the diver and how he distributes his air.. Mostly wing, 50/50, mostly dry-suit.

I have my suit inflator on the left. If the primary/right reg craps out (it's the one more likely to freeze), that still leaves me able to add air to both the suit and wing (orally). With the hoses the other way round, I cannot add air to the suit.

I was using a Duracell, Ok I will go and get some Energizer Ultimates,

Cheers
Shearwater has started to strongly discourage alkaline batteries. They see too many computers damaged by leaks and the newest devices need more power than alkalines can provide. The temperature issues you saw are another factor.

I have my suit inflator on the left. If the primary/right reg craps out (it's the one more likely to freeze), that still leaves me able to add air to both the suit and wing (orally). With the hoses the other way round, I cannot add air to the suit.

If you dive using the suit for warmth, and wing for buoyancy, a right post (primary) off leaves you with the wing on the left and functioning as well as oral inflation. With a failure, I'm ending a dive (going up). No need for more air for my dry suit, in fact I will be venting..

Wing left, suit right...

Are you using Energizer Ultimate lithium batteries in your Perdix? Shearwater recommends those for cold water (and for all water temps now)

I went out a got some Energiser "Litihium" batteries, to be very honest I didn't even know that they existed unitl I read this post.

Also after changing it I saw that the Shearwater has a dedicated selection for the 1.5V Lithium batteries.. :) We learn something new every day... That's one of those things that we tend to skim over and forget when reading the manuals...

In fact I didn't even know of the existance of half of the batteries that we can use

Factors Affecting Battery Life on Shearwater Dive Computers - Shearwater Research

If you dive using the suit for warmth, and wing for buoyancy, a right post (primary) off leaves you with the wing on the left and functioning as well as oral inflation. With a failure, I'm ending a dive (going up). No need for more air for my dry suit, in fact I will be venting..

Wing left, suit right...

I spoke with the wife after reading the various responses, she agreed with this method, in case of a primary reg failure the most important thing is to breath and get back to the surface, so it makes sense so ensure that the BCD/Wing can be used for the task, it is after all it's only purpose ;-). Whereas the suit would probably work, depending on how balanced you were , is not intentionally made as a buoyancy compensation device ;-).

So we are going to change our hoses and go with the Wing Left, Suit Right method..

Wing left, suit right...
But... that's not how DIR rig it. Will have the Hog police on you! 👮‍♂️🚓

The most important thing is to have the wing & suit separated.

BTW if you've got a separate suit inflate bottle, this will be rigged (ass-u-me DIR) on the LHS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom