Question Lp inflate DSMB servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacob BV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have a used closed dsmb that one inflates by blowing into or connecting a LP hose. However, this valve is no longer a 1 way valve, I.e. you can put air in and it can escape back out almost as easy. It works well enough as a dsmb as the valve is close to the bottom so when inflated on the surface it does not lose all its gas. I imagine there's a mushroom valve in there that is folded or dead but it's not easy to take apart, and if I do I'm not confident I'll get it back together. I had this happen to me years ago early on in a dsmbs life and the shop just replaced it. Here's a picture for reference:
20220809_202236.jpg

Hi all,

I have a used closed dsmb that one inflates by blowing into or connecting a LP hose. However, this valve is no longer a 1 way valve, I.e. you can put air in and it can escape back out almost as easy. It works well enough as a dsmb as the valve is close to the bottom so when inflated on the surface it does not lose all its gas. I imagine there's a mushroom valve in there that is folded or dead but it's not easy to take apart, and if I do I'm not confident I'll get it back together. I had this happen to me years ago early on in a dsmbs life and the shop just replaced it. Here's a picture for reference:View attachment 737291

Sorry I guess the question is, has anyone had any luck fixing? My pla would be to heat gun the flexible tubing enough to pull the valve out to look. I've tried with pliers but no lock yet.

Update: By chance when I picked up the DMSB in the light I saw there was something round, approx 8mm in diameter, inside. I unscrewed the over presssure valve, the one with the pull cord, and got the object out. It was clearly the mushroom valve, and looked in good condition. This gave me the confidence to get the heat gun out to take apart the LP inflate.

Removing everything was easy enough with just a bit of heat, impossible without using the tools I had. This is what I found:

20220810_201745.jpg
20220810_201814.jpg

The plastic stick and spring go in the right hand side of the plastic tube, then the rubber mushroom valve is put on. The spring pulls the mushroom valve onto a sealing surface on the left of the plastic tube. The spring is weak so blowing down the tube is enough to push the mushroom valve away allowing the DSMB to fill.

Annoyingly the sealing surface is a little scratched (before committing to heat gun I poked around with a screwdriver so might of scratched it then), I coated everything in silican and its obviously alot better than when there was no mushroom valve attached!

I'm going to contact the manafacturer and see if i can replace these parts, the DSMB has years and years of life left in it and it would be such a waste if it is not servicable.

As an aside, you can buy just the end part, either the type you have, or the one you need to press the plunger as you inflate.
XDEEP Metal end-part for DSMB inflator – Nautilus Diving is the UK agent for the XDeep one so you could probably get similar locally.

is the Ebay link to the same type as yours. I've not used either of these, but with a bit of search you might get a replacement locally.

Rich

As an aside, you can buy just the end part, either the type you have, or the one you need to press the plunger as you inflate.
XDEEP Metal end-part for DSMB inflator – Nautilus Diving is the UK agent for the XDeep one so you could probably get similar locally.

is the Ebay link to the same type as yours. I've not used either of these, but with a bit of search you might get a replacement locally.

Rich
ooo that's really good to know as I really dislike the ones you have to depress...you almost need 3 hands to use a LP hose and in cold water it hurts your teeth to blow in (I like to put a small breath in first just get the dsmb taught and out the way, then attach LP hose).

Thanks I'll have a search off the back of this and update.

More updates: From @Rich1280's link it spurred me on to do more searching and I found this 5.12€ 23% OFF|Heißer Scuba Tauchen Oberfläche Marker Boje SMB Inflator Tauchen BCD Schlauch Anschluss Adapter Einwegventil Zubehör 44Mm| | - AliExpress

I so I took out the spring loaded/mushroom valve parts from mine and put the above order in. Picture below:
20220825_143414.jpg

The new part was a bit smaller than the old so it needed some glue and a cable tie. There is still a slow leak but I think with some more glue this will be no more.

I bought a few of the full metal-body inflators from Ali Express. They were inexpensive, and they've worked fine thus far.

Tecline sell the metal inflator. Use boiling hot water to remove the metal inflator.

Back
Top Bottom