DSD Guidebook needed for Class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I ordered these books over a week ago and they haven't come in for a class I'm teaching in the morning. Are these required? Can I print something online for a workaround for the students to quiz on or is this not even required? It hasn't been clear. Thanks in advance.

Am I correct you are referring to a PADI DSD?
Ther release and medical statement is available to download from the Pro’s site.
https://www2.padi.com/mypadi/pros/training-essentials/forms-and-applications/english/default.aspx

But the briefing pamphlet and quiz aren’t a download, and you do need them. Best suggestion at this late date is scramble to get from another shop or instructor in the morning.

And yes, they are required. If something goes south and you don’t have the completed paperwork on file, you will have big problems.

I ordered these books over a week ago and they haven't come in for a class I'm teaching in the morning. Are these required? Can I print something online for a workaround for the students to quiz on or is this not even required? It hasn't been clear. Thanks in advance.

+1 to what Jack said. It's right there in the PADI IM, in the DSD section:

Materials

Required
Participant – PADI Discover Scuba Diving Participant Guide.

Instructor or DSD Leader conducts knowledge
development/briefing using the Discover Scuba Diving
Participant Guide or Discover Scuba Diving Cue Card or Flip Chart

The Participant Guide is fairly new... PADI introduced it about 5 years ago. Before that it was just flipchart, video, quick quiz and a simple (or simpler than the regular one) liability release. Nothing for the shop to buy on a regular basis. But PADI realized they were missing out on a revenue stream, and created the PG to sell for between 3 and 5 bucks (depending on your pricing level.) The shop I was working for used to do a "free pool DSD" day every month... but we had to cut back on that when the PG was introduced (because it wasn't free for the shop anymore.)

Anyway. Yeah, PADI has made the PG an explicit requirement and there's no way to get it for free. Which was the whole point of requiring it.

Back
Top Bottom