Trip to RSDS in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A dive buddy and I have just booked at week of diving at Red Sea Dive Safari (RSDS), at their Marsa Shagra Village. We are diving there in the first week of October, and travelling from the western US (Arizona).

We haven't arranged flights yet, but will likely fly to Cairo, overnight there, then fly to Hurghada the following morning. Then grab a resort-provided transfer or something third-party to the resort.

It will be the first time in Egypt for both of us, and we are looking for suggestions for sightseeing after the diving is over. Neither of us is able to stay longer than a week after diving. Any ideas? We are thinking about a Nile cruise but haven't looked into the logistics of getting one from Shagra.

For those of you that have been to RSDS, any tips or advice for ensuring a good experience?

Thanks in advance.

Nile cruise out of Luxor is worth doing. Did Aggressor's cruise and would recommend it. Small boat with a dozen or so guests and a very good guide. Luxor was far more interesting than Aswan.

Luxor and Valley of the Kings etc - allow two days there, then Cairo to see the four-sided pointy things and the museums, Khan market etc.

While I understand it is possible to get from Hurghada to Marsa Shagra I think you will find it takes quite a while. Marsa Alam airport is much closer If you can get a flight there. When I went in 2015 there was a transfer from the airport via a rickety old coach. The roads, coach etc are rather old fashioned and so that bit the trip is not exactly fun.

I was training so mostly on the very fine house reefs. Do look into excursion, you can go directly to Elphinstone etc or overland to some of the other shore based sites.

We had a really good time. It is more relaxed than a liveaboard and you get to decide your own schedule doing the shore dives.

The Egyptian Museum in Cairo used to be as close to an Indiana Jones experience one can get. Has been renovated and I haven’t been since so don’t know if it still has that old, dusty but really cool vibe …
Still does, but a lot of the mummies etc have been moved to another new museum, and just to confuse things they are about to open another new museum out by the pyramids.
Unfortunately the old Nile Hilton has gone - used to have a great bar on the roof to watch the sunset after a visit to the museum.

While I understand it is possible to get from Hurghada to Marsa Shagra I think you will find it takes quite a while. Marsa Alam airport is much closer If you can get a flight there. When I went in 2015 there was a transfer from the airport via a rickety old coach. The roads, coach etc are rather old fashioned and so that bit the trip is not exactly fun.

I was training so mostly on the very fine house reefs. Do look into excursion, you can go directly to Elphinstone etc or overland to some of the other shore based sites.

We had a really good time. It is more relaxed than a liveaboard and you get to decide your own schedule doing the shore dives.
Don't know about the coach, but there is now a modern freeway system in Egypt - its totally amazing compared to how the roads used to be!

We will probably arrange a transfer from Hurghada's airport to the Marsa Shagra Village.
Definitely!
Thanks - That's one of the main reasons we chose this operation over a liveaboard.

If you go to Marsa Shagra, try to fly Cairo - Marsa Alam, this airport is much closer.

Transfer from Hurghada airport should take about 3 hours (250 kms).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom