Drysuits: Take a class or learn from a buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
I will never be able to live this down in a 1000 years :D
At least Howard didn't catch a photo op of it.

No ... but I did :eyebrow:

I've got a pair of drysuits on the way for the wife and I. We're brand new, having only done the PADI pool sessions so far. Is there any place online I can read up on drysuit operations?

(Our OW dives are Halloween weekend. If we have drysuits then, are the instructors likely to let us use them, or will they want us to use class wetsuits?)

you'd better ask them, good question

What, no psychic answer for me? :wink: Heh. I better go to the horse's mouth.

hoosier:
You mean a rally last weekend? Were you there?

No, I do the spring Rally they hold at TableRock lake. But IMO the card can be useful under some conditions. I have buddies who are self taught, i.e. no card and they dive as well as anybody could dive. However if something happens they can't rent a drysuit from many shops. They're thinking of taking a class to cover those situations, meaningless piece of plastic IMO. But like the AOW card it's sometimes needed.

Matt S.:
I've got a pair of drysuits on the way for the wife and I.

Good deal. IMO you won't be able to use them. Your open water checkout dives are testing skills you've already gained, you have not gained proficiency in drysuit usage and to add that on top of what you're currently doing may result in you failing the course.

Right now I'd say finish your course as you've been taught/conditioned and add the drysuit afterwards. It's best to stay with what you know for right now.

My opinion might not be the majority here, but I think it's best.

nuballawalla:
I just did a pool check-out with my drysuit. A couple of things to look for...
2. definitely practice feet-up scenarios with and without ankle weights. i found that i had to unplug my inflator hose to reach my ankles. if i didn't, the inflator valve would jam open when i reached up to my ankles and i'd just balloon even more! again, i'm

Out of idle curiosity, what makes your inflator valve open when reach for your ankles?

You can't believe how many times I retyped this to ask this question...:D

Anyone everchange their own wrist/neck seals? Any good online sources for a quick "1-2-3 How To"

cummings66:
Out of idle curiosity, what makes your inflator valve open when reach for your ankles?

You can't believe how many times I retyped this to ask this question...:D

When I bent myself over to reach my ankles I think the suit folded up and over top the valve enough to somehow hold it open. It could be just a peculiarity restricted to this particular suit.

Matt S.:
I've got a pair of drysuits on the way for the wife and I. We're brand new, having only done the PADI pool sessions so far. Is there any place online I can read up on drysuit operations?

(Our OW dives are Halloween weekend. If we have drysuits then, are the instructors likely to let us use them, or will they want us to use class wetsuits?)

In the UK, nearly all OW students dive dry from the very start. Ask your instructor if it's an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom