Drysuits: Take a class or learn from a buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
I can't STAND that method!

God we are funny aren't we?

Yep, everbody has there own prefrences.

Better to have a friend teach you both. And you decide. My buddy likes it the other way...

Mverick:
Better to have a friend teach you both. And you decide. My buddy likes it the other way...
Teach both and the reasons why you would use one and not the other. It really shouldn't boil down to "Thats how I like it."

I dove my first drysuit dive using the drysuit as a BCD, absolutely hated it. Then I did the next dive using the BCD as a BCD and kept only enough air in the drysuit to keep the squeeze manageable.

The later is the only way to dive IMO and it's much more relaxing. I can dive either way and I will when it's cold keep more air in the suit than I do in warm water, but I do not use the drysuit as a BCD as a general rule.

It's good to know both ways and in fact using a drysuit as a BCD will teach you to manage that bubble correctly. After you get it down all you need to do is practice it once in a while just in case.

I think my old Viking manual stressed using the drysuit as a BCD and the new Viking manual talks of using the BCD. They are different in how they approach the subject, the newer one also has lots of liability statements saying take this class before diving etc...

In the end, a class is useful to get a plastic card because once in a while that card will come in handy. I use mine during the DUI Dog Rally, saves having to go with an instructor or set through their class. I've never needed my card for anything else though.

OK I stand corrected, teach both and let the student decide. I still hate using the BCD but in truth I only dive dry when in doubles now...

cerich:
depend on the buddy and the instructor in question. If it is a instructor that doen't dive dry all the time and is following the drysuit specialty course outline skip it (they teach using BCD and jsut enough air to keep squeeze away, which sucks as a method)

There are more diving organisations and methods than PADI.......:wink:

The BCD for boyancy and a little air in the suit is the CMAS and (I Believe) the BSAC method there aint any problems. It's the method that many (non PADI) divers use, the thinking behind it is that you use the BCD as you would with a wetsuit, so why learn a different system when you dive dry?

A minimum amount of air is all that is needed during descent & keep the valve open, the air will vent automatically during ascent. It's actually a very simple system.

JeffG:
No, I gave him a "dry suit class"

... and did a might fine job too, I might add ! Only problem was that I think you left out the lesson about proper gnome handling protocols :wink:

As far as myself ... I did a self study with some training material, got some clarification and additional pointers from a few experienced drys suit divers (like Jeff, Kimber, and others) and then did a few easy shallow dives with some experienced dry suit divers. I found the diving part to actually be pretty easy. I was already pretty comfortable with buoyancy and trim beforehand. It took a few dives to re-learn how to control ascents, though ... mostly getting weight dialed in and learning the dumping characteristics of suit.

cummings66:
In the end, a class is useful to get a plastic card because once in a while that card will come in handy. I use mine during the DUI Dog Rally, saves having to go with an instructor or set through their class. I've never needed my card for anything else though.

I think you're talking about the rally the same place I went for it, and go a lot. And, I didn't have to show a card. But, they know me... :crafty:

1_T_Submariner:
I purchased a drysuit about a month ago. I chose the buddy mentor route. Got rid of leg weights on the 3rd dive (a week later).

I went with an instructor that refused to let me use leg weights in the first place, instead teaching me how to "Do It Right" from the get go.

As with any course, the value of the class is instructor-dependent. Crappy instructor, low value. Good instructor, high value.

Blanket statements that any specific course is "not worth it" are absurd.

Mverick:
I love that method..... Used it for years. Hate the other method.

LOL

Me too!

If I put air somehwere, I expect it to stay there.

Shrink-wrap all the way. If I need to compensate for buoyancy changes, I use a bouyancy compensator. What a concept. :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom