Drysuit Undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mick allein III

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Bare Trilam and have been diving it for 3 years. To save money I use a variety of layered underarmor and fleece underneath. I have been very comfortable in water in Themis 40s. But recently spent some time in 38-41 deg water and became chilled. Any suggestions on good, affordable thermal protection. I'm okay with suggestions on layering better etc. I don't have tons of $.

More info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does it take to become chilled in the 38-41 degree water? I become chilled in my Thermal fusion in around 45 to 50 minutes or so.

Not having "tons of money" makes it hard. I'm super sensitive to cold so for me in those temps it'd be a heated vest. I wear under armour and a North Face base layer, with a merino wool top on top of those two with a Santi BZ200 and get chilly in water in the mid 50s.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 08:29 AM ----------

I also wear a full 5mm in the tropics and don't get hot.

Might want to check ebay. You can find some no name fleece undies on there. I use Under Armor cold gear layered with my DUI Polartec undies and I start to get chilled in the mid 30° range. I think some of my chills come from sweat also.

I own a Bare Trilam and have been diving it for 3 years. To save money I use a variety of layered underarmor and fleece underneath. I have been very comfortable in water in Themis 40s. But recently spent some time in 38-41 deg water and became chilled. Any suggestions on good, affordable thermal protection. I'm okay with suggestions on layering better etc. I don't have tons of $.

More info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 300 gram polartec inside a 3mm neoprene suit and that keeps me warm in upper 30's temperature. I have been down to 92 feet in this set up and did not feel a thing.

Would thinsulate keep me warmer? Possible.

Do I feel the need? No.

Would insulate be a better choice in case my suit floods with water? I would have to compare by first flooding my suit with cold water while wearing thinsulate and then do the same while wearing polar tec.

Am I willing to do that? No.

Are the people who sell thinsulate willing to give me a live demonstration of this stunt in mids 30s water? Nope.

Should you buy it? You decide. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom