Drysuit - SiTech Docking System 60910 vs. Kubi Dry Cuff System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to try really hard to break the metal Kubi rings.

FWIW I've had neoprene protectors added to mine. They protect the membrane suit where it connects to the glove rings.
Predator cuffs - Dec 20.jpg

I believe the SiTech oval system is referred to as Antares, the round system is Glove Lock QCP. FWIW, if you have large hands, you will not be able to get them through the ovals

oval qcs is the system for the wrist seal and can be used with round dry glove systems by replacing the oval retention ring (the suit side ring is flexible). the antares is the oval dry glove system and not recommended.

Dry glove systems are so hard to navigate through... there's just too many choices and when you try to research there's tons of older threads that are all outdated.

I chose the Waterproof Ultimas...if I had it to do now I would choose the Rolock 90's based off what others have said.

Both systems (as stated by others) use the oval si tech ring. The PU ring can be bought from the UK for super cheap. Like $15 for a set.

I paired them (along with a lot of others) with the Showa 720 gloves.

Good luck. Dry gloves rock.

The kubi system was too east to doff, in fact would pop off when I didn't want them to.

Plus to bulky

There are 2 si-tech cuff systems:

One is a large diameter round system officially called the Quick Cuff Platform (QCP). This system was developed first for use with user replacable quick change seals (either silicone or latex). Si-Tech developed the Quick Glove dryglove system to integrate with this cuff system, which is friction fit/retention type system and due to some issues/concerns they developed the Glove Lock dryglove system to integrate with this cuff system. The Glove Lock system is a bayonette type retension system that is integrated into the removable ring thst retains the wrist seal.

The 2nd Si-Tech cuff system is the Quick Change Seal Oval System (QCS Oval). This was Si-Tehc's answer to requests for a lower profile cuff system. Again, this system is designed for user replacable quick change seals ( in the field repair) using either silicone or latex wrist seals. This system is sometimes referred to as the Antares system as Si-Tech developed the Antares dryglove system to integrate with the QCS oval system

Both systems work by sandwiching the wrist seal between a flexible ring that is glued into the cuff of the suit and a removable rigid ring that acts as the retainer for the wrist seal. The flexible ring on the QCS oval system is actually round and gets its oval shape from the removable rigid ring used to retain the seal.

The Antares dryglove system received a lot of bad press because it has locking tabs that cand bend/break and the glove ring must be lined up perfectly or else it can leak.

Si-Tech has also developed the Virgo dryglove system, based on their Glove Lock system, to integrate with the QCS oval system. This is a step up from the Antares with regards to reliability but it is a bit bulky.

Waterproof, from Sweden, developed the Ultima DGS (dryglove system), patterned after an older system made by Diving Concepts. This system is designed too integrate directly with the QCS oval cuff system and works very well. This system renders the oval cuff system round as it replaces the removable rigid oval cuff ring with a rigid round cuff ring that retains the wrist seal and is also used as the dock for attaching the glove ring to the suit. The biggest issue with this system is that it can is difficult but not impossible 5o mount gloves on the glove ring due to an undersized retension o-ring, but that can be alleviated by swapping the retension O-rings for larget diameter ones. The other issue is that some find it difficult to pry the glove ring off the cuff ring after a dive. Waterproof developed the Push-Pull add-on to aid in post dive glove removal, but unfortunately this add-on is not currently available in North America.

Fourth Element developed a dryglove system to integrate with the QCS oval cuff rings that retains the low profile oval shape of the sytem. This dryglove system replaces the removable rigid ring of the Si-Tech cuff with another rigid ring that is designed and functions similar to the rigid ring of the Ultima DGS, except the Fourth Element ring is oval. This is somewhat of an improvement over the Antares oval dryglove system as there are no fragile tabs to bend/break, and it seals better, but being that it is oval it can be a bit frustrating to get things lined up when pressing the glove ring onto the cuff ring.

Rolock, a company from Switzerland, has been producing a very good twist-on bayonet locking system for a number of years. Their system was originally designed for use on glued latex seals, but a couple of years ago they devloped a model that is designed to seamlessy integrate with the Si-Tech QCS oval cuff system...this sytstem is called the Rolock 90. This dryglove system replaces the rigid oval ring with a rigid round ring to retain the wrist seal in the cuff of the suit, and it similarly serves as a docking ring for the glove ring like the Ultima DGS. The major difference compared to the Ultima DGS is that the Ultima presses together and is pried apart, whereas the Rolock 90 twists together with a bayonette type of locking mechanism. The Rolock 90 is extremely easy to mount gloves on the glove ring and very easy to attach and remove the glove ring pre/post dive.

The Kubi system is very similar to the Ultima DGS in function, except it is made from metal and not designed to integrate with the Si-Tech cuff system. It also can be purchased in different diameters for a somewhat customized fit.

The primary benefit of the si-tech cuff system is that it allows for quick, clean, field repair by the user should one suffer a compromised wrist seal. It takes longer for me to fish my spare wrist seal out of my save-a-dive kit than it takes for me to remove the damaged seal and put a new one in place. To me this is cheap insurance that keeps me diving instead of mucking around with chemicals and glue, or waiting on a shop to effect a repair.

I have personally dived or have hands on experience withh all the systems mentioned above. I currently have a set of Rolock 90 on my suit and I absolutly love them, they are my current first choice/top recommendation with Waterproof Ultima DGS as a close 2nd.

I cannot recommend the Si-Tech QCS oval cuff system enough. There is nothing else on the market comparible with it and I would personnally not by a suit without it due to the versatility this cuff ring system offers.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom