Drysuit Question - Why don't you.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am about to venture down the rabbit hole of drysuit diving. I have started reading and video watching in preparation of my classwork and keep reading about the hazards of your legs flying up over your head.

Why not install release valves at the bottoms of the suit legs? Wouldn't this alleviate the problem? I understand the sensitivity can be adjusted on the valves so these could be set a little stiff, no?

Someone must have some thoughts / opinions about this. I mean, c'mon, it's ScubaBoard.

Someone told me once that some UK manufacturers used to install them a long time ago. Might be one of those things where they ended up being a good idea on paper but not as functional in real life.

Have you dived a drysuit yet? I was also very concerned before getting in one about feet first ascents. Once I took my class and went through the motions of over-inflating the suit and then going head down to learn how to remedy that situation I was no longer concerned.

Because it's just unnecessary. With proper training, etc, the hazard is no longer a "problem" to begin with. If you become inverted and don't know what to do or don't know how to handle that, that not knowing is what makes it a problem. When there is no longer any "not-knowing" there is no longer any problem either. When you have the proper skills and can execute that skill, the "problem" no longer exists. Thus, the "problem" is already alleviated.

Because it's just unnecessary. With proper training, etc, the hazard is no longer a "problem" to begin with. If you become inverted and don't know what to do or don't know how to handle that, that not knowing is what makes it a problem. When there is no longer any "not-knowing" there is no longer any problem either. When you have the proper skills and can execute that skill, the "problem" no longer exists. Thus, the "problem" is already alleviated.

Well said. Thank you. Spoken like a true dad.

You must not fear. Fear is the mind killer.......................

You dive the suit. If the suit is diving you, try a different instructor...or just figure it out.

Seeker pretty much covered it. A properly fitted suit and proper weighting will go a long way toward never having the problem, training/practice will matter.

i've seen people still diving them. Like @cerich says, it's an equipment solution to a skills problem. One swift kick and you can flip yourself back over. Sure, ankle dumps would be convenient, but they'd also come with other issues associated with big hunks of plastic on your leg

Now I can't wait to get into my balloon. Thanks, everyone.

I'm frequently feet up looking in nooks and crannies for critters to photograph, never had issues.

As already mentioned, good fitting suit goes a long way as well as some decent training, need not be certificated, the same physics applies to diving with a BC / Wing. The only gas I put in to the suit is to relieve squeeze, nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom