Drysuit suggestions for moderate to warm-water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be on my own here, but I have a neoprene neck seal and hate it. It gives me a rash. It is mostly manageable by smearing on lube when kitting up (yes I get a few strange looks when people see what I bring on a boat), but it’s annoying, uncomfortable, and leaks as much as latex or silicone seals. Have no trouble with the glued-on latex wrist seals. And otherwise my suit is great. But that’s just me. Some people think neoprene seals are great.
With a trilam suit (good choice), thin undergarments (thermals - don’t have to be specifically for diving) will suffice in tropical water, and you can go thicker and warmer from there. You don’t want the suit to be too big but make sure it leaves enough room to fit thicker undergarments if you think you’ll need them.
Fit is most important. Some people fit well in off-the-shelf sizing. Others don’t.
A pee valve can be fitted later, but is handy. Especially in warm climates you want to be drinking plenty of fluid, and you might hesitate if you’re worried you mightn’t last a long dive comfortably.

Go with the first one on the list,Seaskin, add the pee valve, you don’t have to use it but if you’re warmer your dive time will increase, si tech oval wrist seals and the quick neck with silicone seals for both, buy spares with the suit so you have them if you need them. Plastic zipper, it can be mostly closed when you roll/fold the suit for transport, less susceptible to damage. Neoprene socks, better option in any situation, in my opinion, but much easier to transport.

OP:
I agree with everything mentioned except the plastic zipper. I am partial to brass drysuit zippers as the info/evidence I have come across thus far indicates that the plastic zippers wear out magnitudes quicker than brass zippers. While plastic zippers are less susceptible to damage in transport, the more robust and longer lasting brass zipper is my preference and recommendation even if that means one has to be more cautious packing the suit pre/post dive.

Just a note that the si-tech oval wrist system mentioned by lexvil will provide numerous options for dryglove systems if/when you decide to integrate them into your diving. Current products that I would strongly recommend are the Waterproof Ultima DGS and the Rolock 90 systems. They both are designed to readily integrate with the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist system.

-Z

...but it’s annoying, uncomfortable, and leaks as much as latex or silicone seals.

Not sure what to infer from your statement above. I have been using the same silicone neck seal that came with my suit in 2018. I have not experienced it leaking as of yet.
upload_2021-2-26_13-0-47.jpeg

-Z

I might be on my own here, but I have a neoprene neck seal and hate it. It gives me a rash. It is mostly manageable by smearing on lube when kitting up (yes I get a few strange looks when people see what I bring on a boat), but it’s annoying, uncomfortable, and leaks as much as latex or silicone seals. Have no trouble with the glued-on latex wrist seals. And otherwise my suit is great. But that’s just me. Some people think neoprene seals are great.
With a trilam suit (good choice), thin undergarments (thermals - don’t have to be specifically for diving) will suffice in tropical water, and you can go thicker and warmer from there. You don’t want the suit to be too big but make sure it leaves enough room to fit thicker undergarments if you think you’ll need them.
Fit is most important. Some people fit well in off-the-shelf sizing. Others don’t.
A pee valve can be fitted later, but is handy. Especially in warm climates you want to be drinking plenty of fluid, and you might hesitate if you’re worried you mightn’t last a long dive comfortably.

I don't think you are on your own. I had a Waterproof with neoprene seals and they were annoyingly tight, especially arms were horrible. It would also leak at times from the neck slightly. Later I got another suit with latex seals that was dry and easier to get into but latex does not hold in uv, I had the neck seal replaced with neoprene very soon. First time I tried it on, it the seal seemed like it was not long and tight enough, so I really thought it would leak but to my surprise, it did not and it was super comfortable as well. Current one is with silicon, so far no complaints but I am not yet sure whether it will be as durable as neoprene.

Thanks all for your input so far. The Seaskin is becoming more and more appealing, its value proposition just seems unbeatable. I was secretly focused on the Avatar suit due it essentially being a Santi, but it seems like I'd be getting at least the same quality and more customizability for 30% less of the price with the Seaskin.

Also looks like exchangeable silicone seals may be the best way to go. Noob question but are there any drawbacks to having the dryglove system arm seal when not (yet) diving drygloves?

Another noob question regarding footwear. As suggested by @lexvil, I think neoprene socks would make sense for me (easy to clean and dry, easy to pack, likely more leak-resistant). Do these only work in combination with rock boots? I'm assuming (hoping) they can be worn with wetsuit boots or even sneakers, correct?

I have been pretty happy with my Seaskin Nova trilam, with Fourth element J2 base layer as my only undergarment for water from 30 down to 22, below that I will add a fleece top or pants or both down to 18-19, the coldest I have dived here.
Yeah that's basically my plan going forward! Have heard very good things about the J2 base layer.

Any special reasons to exclude crushed neoprene from your choices?
The main drawbacks I see with neoprene drysuits are the time it takes them to dry (and the weight when wet), the positive buoyancy and the more difficult dressing and undressing. I don't mind looking like a convict in undergarments. :crafty:

Thanks all for your input so far. The Seaskin is becoming more and more appealing, its value proposition just seems unbeatable. I was secretly focused on the Avatar suit due it essentially being a Santi, but it seems like I'd be getting at least the same quality and more customizability for 30% less of the price with the Seaskin.
Also looks like exchangeable silicone seals may be the best way to go. Noob question but are there any drawbacks to having the dryglove system arm seal when not (yet) diving drygloves?
Another noob question regarding footwear. As suggested by @lexvil, I think neoprene socks would make sense for me (easy to clean and dry, easy to pack, likely more leak-resistant). Do these only work in combination with rock boots? I'm assuming (hoping) they can be worn with wetsuit boots or even sneakers, correct?
Yeah that's basically my plan going forward! Have heard very good things about the J2 base layer.
The main drawbacks I see with neoprene drysuits are the time it takes them to dry (and the weight when wet), the positive buoyancy and the more difficult dressing and undressing. I don't mind looking like a convict in undergarments. :crafty:
Neoprene socks can be wear with anything. An old pair of running shoes, booties, whatever :)
Neoprenne drysuits don't take that much time to dry as they are only wet on the outside and it takes less time to dry than wet suit and not, they are not more positive (I wear less lead with my compressed neo than the equivalent trilaminate+unders) and the dressing undressing is not a problem at all.
But anyway, whatever you choose, I am sure you are going to enjoy it :)

By any chance, did you manage to get information about the weight? I am not in an urgency to buy any suit, but I am curious to know :)

Some dry-glove systems are removable, but I never remove them, there is no reason to do that.

An example:
Système de gants étanches – TED'S Technical and Easy Diving System

The point for you is another one - why would you spend an extra 100/200€ on a dry-glove system that you do not need? Save these bucks for something more important

About advantages and disadvantages, be sure that you prioritize appropriately:
1 - most important thing is in-water comfort, resistance and flexibility
2 - secondly, leak-resistance
3 - easy to get dressed
4 - easy to pack/clean
5 - easy to dry

You can change a bit this order, but be sure to be pragmatic.

Neoprene socks are equal to boots when looking at point 1, slightly better when looking at point 2 (in my experience), worst when looking at point 3, and absolutely equal at point 4 and 5

However, in your case, advantage 2 is not really critical because your diving and dry-walking conditions are not rough.

That said, make your choice consciously; yes, you can wear them with whatever you want, be sure that the spring of your fins is firmly held.

Another thing, are you buying a trilaminate just because "GUE says so"? Or did you try to challenge the GUE guidelines before to decide on a trilaminate?

I just weighed my Seaskin Nova, it weighs 3.8kg/8.4lbs. This is with the SiTech neck and wrist system (oval rings) and Trigon p valve and neoprene socks. I am 177cm / 5' 10" and 78kg / 172 lbs.

I just weighed my Seaskin Nova, it weighs 3.8kg/8.4lbs. This is with the SiTech neck and wrist system (oval rings) and Trigon p valve and neoprene socks. I am 177cm / 5' 10" and 78kg / 172 lbs.

Thanks for sharing!

If you need a light suit for travel-don't forget Frogman Travel (and travel lady). They are great super light suit on the budget. Well, I'd say they are great suits, period. A bit of cost cutting when compared to Frogman Tech but they are super light suits at a fantastic price point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom