Drysuit - purchase - please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smoothskin

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone help with the following:

Cold water dives in UK

Membrane or Neoprene Drysuit?

Pee Valve or Pee Zip - both are on offer?

Neoprene or latex neck seals............it's all soooooo confusing!

smoothskin once bubbled...
Can someone help with the following:

Cold water dives in UK

Membrane or Neoprene Drysuit?

Pee Valve or Pee Zip - both are on offer?

Neoprene or latex neck seals............it's all soooooo confusing!

To take these in order.

1 - All UK dives are cold water (except some swimming pools :) )

2 - Can of worms opened, each has it's own merits.

3 - How big is your bladder?

4 - See 2!

For the record, I dive a membrane suit, rely on bladder control and have latex seals.

Get thee down to the Dive Show next weekend and play!

HTH (a little anyway)

Dom

Thanks for this...........

not sure if you helped much - but guess dive show would help - where is it? Are you going?

Thanks

Neoprene is usually tougher, if you need that.

Pee zip? Sounds painful. You shouldn't need either for rec diving, IMO. You going to be doing some long deco stops?

I have a neoprene neck seal at the moment and I find it warmer and not so delicate as latex. HIH.

I trained in membrane with latex seals and bought neoprene with neoprene seals. I prefer the one I've bought - I find it warmer and a closer fit. It's a Northern Diver Divemaster. But it's entirely personal preference. You'll find lots of posts here in favour of membrane and lots for neoprene. Bes thing is to try a few on and see how they feel. Then test them out in water.

Pee zips don't help underwater :wink:

My money, for cold water NY diving, is on a trilam suit.

brizzolatti once said...
I trained in membrane with latex seals and bought neoprene with neoprene seals. I prefer the one I've bought - I find it warmer and a closer fit.

Do you think you would find the neoprene warmer with the same underwear? I've often wondered about that.

Although I really love my compressed neoprene suit, I don't find it a lick warmer than the trilam I had previously.

smoothskin once bubbled...
Thanks for this...........

not sure if you helped much - but guess dive show would help - where is it? Are you going?

Thanks

My point is that it really is a very personal thing, for every diver that swears by one thing, another swears at it :D

The Dive show is at the NEC Birmingham this weekend (15-16th) I thought I was going on Sunday, but have had to change plans to Saturday :(

Dom

doole once bubbled...

Do you think you would find the neoprene warmer with the same underwear? I've often wondered about that.

Although I really love my compressed neoprene suit, I don't find it a lick warmer than the trilam I had previously.

Yes. The neoprene will add quite a bit of insulation. Problem is that the insulation goes away as you go deeper, along with making you wear more lead to compensate for the buoyancy change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom