Drysuit course needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Just purchased my first drysuit from a BARE dealer. Do I really need to take a drysuit course? Some of my diver friends have just said "Go do some shallow water diving with an experienced drysuit diving friend and save your money." They can teach you everyhting you need to know right in shallow water.

Is that true or smart?

I dont think you can go wrong either way. Both are good choices so long as your friend is an experienced drysuit diver.

Andy

First off, I agree with the other posters so far. As long as the person showing you the ropes with respect to drysuit diving is experienced, you should be OK. I personally would not DYI the learning, definitely look for help of some sort.

That said, I also just purchased a dry suit, and the LDS included suit orientation as part of the deal. I get pool sessions with an instructor, and I'm getting an OW dive tomorrow morning with the LDS instructor. This "free" training was part of the sales pitch while I was shopping around at a couple different shops, actually. Perhaps you could ask the dealer you bought the suit at if they have "free" orientation sessions for their customers?

Jimmie

I bought the drysuit fom Ontario, thru the mail, from a shop. I did that because the dealer here in NY wanted $1299 US, and the store in Canada sold it to me (with the currency exchange rate) for $760 US! Smart shopper, eh?

So, its still cheaper for me to pay $150 for a course, since I still saved over $500 US on the suit. But, $150 pays for a new tank for Nitrox or some other equipment.

Take the course.

If anyone says they can teach you how to use it properly they
probably should be instructors (and would then charge for it).

Back when I first got my suit I had a guy, who I thought knew his stuff, after his continuous boasting to the fact, who tried to show me the ropes. He was a joke, as was the experience! I went and tried to figure out things alone during the winter. It was obvious there were neuances I wasn't privey to. I bought a book called DRY SUIT DIVING, it was heavily influenced by DUI. The book was exactly what I needed to fill in the gaps. I wasn't about to take a $100.00 course, plus pool fees. People, unless their an instructor, may be good intentioned but like anything else may leave crittical elements out of your toutoring session. It's imperative that you learn how to do emergency venting, as well as righting yourself if you find your feet first soaring to the surface before the rest of you! You couldn't possibly know how to care for, as well as know what different kinds of materials you may want in a suit. Some kind of help may be very bennificial! Don't be foolish enough to think you know it all, you don't !
Wreck/Tec

Any idea who sells the book?

Is this the title you are speaking of?

Dry Suit Diving: A Guide to Diving Dry
Steven M. Barsky, Dick Long, Bob Stinton

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Any idea who sells the book?

Is this the title you are speaking of?

Dry Suit Diving: A Guide to Diving Dry
Steven M. Barsky, Dick Long, Bob Stinton
Yes. This was recommended in the refrenced thread on this topic which I started. I went and purchased a used copy of this book from amazon.com, and I have been very happy with it. I went into the LDS and looked through the PADI DrySuit Diver book a few days ago, and I am glad I did not waste my money. This book is FAR more comprehensive. It includes all the same information about diving the suit, plus a ton of extra information on materials, repair, cleaning, storage, etc.

Ok, thanks...I'll order a copy - used. I was going to look into the PADI book too. Glad you mentioned that!

Back
Top Bottom