Drysuit Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to purchase my first drysuit. Looking to get recommendations on what brand to go with. I was seriously considering the Bare product as I love their wetsuits. But I've come across several reports of them leaking, specifically leaking at the seams. I need a suit that's durable as the majority of the dives will be in caves and involve some pulling through restrictions. Thanks!

Every shop by me, is pushing the DUI suits. Particularly the custom FLX or Cf200 neoprene. With relief thing, and two hip pockets "for sandwiches".

I'm still getting used to their rockboots, and saving up my budget.

I love my SeaSkin drysuit :)

FLX extreme is the gold standard around here. If you don't need something so stout, I think sea skin looks like an excellent choice.

FLX extreme is the gold standard around here. If you don't need something so stout, I think sea skin looks like an excellent choice.
I have a FLX Extreme myself. I’ve had it three years and it’s been fabulous.

The most popular drysuit brand on Scubaboard is Seaskin. It's a custom-build company out of Leeds, England. There's a mega-thread about it.
And for the truly lazy among us (like me), this is that thread: Review - Seaskin Nova drysuit

I'll add that my wife and I have Santi drysuits and have no complaints. They seem well made and fit and feel great (but that's probably more a matter of getting your measurements right than the suit design). Santi, like DUI, is on the expensive end, and I have no idea whether there is any significant aspect of Santi and DUI suits that is superior to Seaskin. I'd love to try a Seaskin to see for myself. Maybe I'll get one as a backup suit.

My wife and I are both very happy with the Santi Elite+ suits. They're expensive as can be but the materials feel quite durable and seem to hold up well to cave use. My suit has ~80 cave dives on it before I bought it and about 30 more dives (10 at ginnie) from me and it's still in great shape in all the high wear areas.

I know several other people with Dive Rite suits that like them and dive them in caves frequently. I was going to go that direction until I found a used Santi suit. I have heard of some people having issues with the seams falling apart and leaking on their DR suits though.

I took a look at the seams of about a dozen used drysuits of various makes and models and was really impressed with Santi's seam glue and that's what convinced me it may be worth the money. All my internal seams look brand new on my 3 year old suit.

I will say I have no point of reference on other brands as this is my first suit, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Seaskin seems like a great option for an entry level made to measure suit. I don't think any of the other made to measures are even in the same ballpark price-wise. People seem to have had good results with them.

I went with a Bare NexGen Pro. Bare's MT sizing fits me almost as good as a made to measure other than some seal issues that have been resolved with replacement, I have been happy with it. I got a steal off of eBay.

If money was no object I would have a DUI, Santi, or Deep Six Makara.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom