Drysuit Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why go Seaskin if you can go Otter?
Because an otter runs ~2300 GBP vs ~1200 GBP for a Seaskin. Suit quality and cut are fantastic. Seaskin also doesn't limit you to their own branded accessories (otter pee valve or conv zip being the only options). I've met 2 people that had issues with their Seaskin. I've met and know a whole lot more that haven't.

Because an otter runs ~2300 GBP vs ~1200 GBP for a Seaskin. Suit quality and cut are fantastic. Seaskin also doesn't limit you to their own branded accessories (otter pee valve or conv zip being the only options). I've met 2 people that had issues with their Seaskin. I've met and know a whole lot more that haven't.

I agree that SeaSkin suits are affordable value products. They are a great for backup or dry suit diving that does not involve unintentional contact with cave. However, that's not what @Black Cat needs, according to the first post:

I need a suit that's durable as the majority of the dives will be in caves and involve some pulling through restrictions.

SeaSkin won't be the best tool here.

SF Tech PRO line is still the king in cave country. You won't find a suit that fits and wears better. However, SF Tech is $4K and up, depending on options. If that is okay, reach out to the US dealer

The next best option is Otter Atlantic Kevlar - a true made-to-measure suit with reinforcements in high-traction area. You can get the suit for around $2300. Other reinforced suits will hold up well, too, but most aren't true made-to-measure and I'd pass. Streamlined suits generate less drag which is a good thing even in low- or no-flow caves. I've seen a very heavily used Otter Atlantic and was impressed with how it held up to wear.

As for accessories, it is fairly easy to replace a p-valve with what you want. For a cave suit, you probably want standard wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal.

P.S. Another option is to try a few suits to see whether off-the-rack sizing fits you. A friend dives a Santi which is not a true made-to-measure but altered in a few places to fit my friend. As my bud is a standard Large, the Santi fits him perfectly with only a few alternations. However, I'd take SF Tech over Santi for $500 more.

Drag from a suit... you're kit creates more. If the suit is cut to you then it's well and good enough. Off the shelf are the problem children there. Buy a scooter if drag from your suit is the issue. Or better yet, but a scooter and clip it off for your photo ops and checking out sites.

Your right though, a very tough suit is needed for him. Seaskin is pretty durable and a great entry level suit. The fabric is quite tough imo. In an open water diver though so most of my theory for this is based on the that.

Looks pretty streamlined and tight cut to me
GX010426_1709425070309.jpg
GX010426_1709425087444.jpg

Drag from a suit... you're kit creates more. If the suit is cut to you then it's well and good enough. Off the shelf are the problem children there. Buy a scooter if drag from your suit is the issue. Or better yet, but a scooter and clip it off for your photo ops and checking out sites.

Your right though, a very tough suit is needed for him. Seaskin is pretty durable and a great entry level suit. The fabric is quite tough imo. In an open water diver though so most of my theory for this is based on the that.

Looks pretty streamlined and tight cut to me
View attachment 829847View attachment 829848

I think you need more color in your life🤣.

I own a Seaskin and beat the hell out of it dragging it around on oyster beds... no complaints after 70 hours of use.

He doesn’t want to get mistaken for a seal … 😀
Orcas are a real thing around here though the local pod prefers salmon. I'd still rather not be considered an alternative food source. The fin thieving bastards should be 2nd after salmon, not me.

Don't hesitate to get a high-end used suit if it fits. New zipper and seals are inexpensive in comparison.

Don't hesitate to get a high-end used suit if it fits. New zipper and seals are inexpensive in comparison.

Here is some bad news. A dry suit zipper has a lifespan typically measured by the number of pulls. After a few hundred pulls you'll have to replace the zipper. If you cave dive, you probably want a quality zipper replacement done by a top shop. That is a $400 job. Imagine spending that much on a suit that costs $1000. There is an argument in SeaSkin favor: buy it, beat the living crap out of the suit, then get a new one. However, I'd rather go another route. @Black Cat did not state the budget, so the default rule applies: buy the best you can afford.

Haven’t seen any recommendations on the fourth element argonaut, that’ll probably be my next suit.
Currently using a Hollis Btr 500, just had zipper replaced (second time) cost $650.00 to have DUI do it, was warrantied the first time.
It’s got a bad inflation valve now, (broken tounge)
Probably going to replace it with a si tech Vega or something, we’ll see.

You can replace the zipper yourself for ~$100, Seaskin sells them in both brass and plastic at whatever length you need. Or you can have a shop do it. Around here the LDS charge upwards of $600. There is a non-affiliated repair guy that does then for $300 including the zipper and has a 2 week turn around. If the bag is still good then $300 isn't a big investment in a made to measure suit.

Back
Top Bottom