Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLTEKDIVER:
I saw somewhere, but I dont want to go back and read 30 pages :)

Is there a list of whats needed to bring on this trip?

Any recommadations from others that have been on this trip, this time of the year ?

How about personal tanks? Bring em, or leave em home?

Anything a first timer should know ?

Tanks and weights will be provided by the boat, don't know about personal tanks, best to contact the boat I guess.

Bed linens or sleeping bag

I think most everything else is there for you, I saw info on what to bring on the Ultimate Getaway webpage.

LindaBluedolphin:
Tanks and weights will be provided by the boat, don't know about personal tanks, best to contact the boat I guess.

Bed linens or sleeping bag

I think most everything else is there for you, I saw info on what to bring on the Ultimate Getaway webpage.

I saw that on their site also, I was wondering if there was anything else. I saw somone had a detailed list, and it had alot on it.

I'm assuming in the cabin area, they have a TV, and outlets to charge camera's, and lights etc??

I am guessing there is some sort of camera set up area. MY camera is not fancy so I just need a little outlet to charge my battery and am going to bring 2 extras so one will always be ready to go.

I am so looking forward to this trip.

Still mulling around which exposure suit to bring, would prefer my 3mm but sort of think I will need to go with the 5mm, but if the air temps are still in the 80's I may just go with the 3, as the water will be in he 70's

LindaBluedolphin:
I am guessing there is some sort of camera set up area. MY camera is not fancy so I just need a little outlet to charge my battery and am going to bring 2 extras so one will always be ready to go.

I am so looking forward to this trip.

Still mulling around which exposure suit to bring, would prefer my 3mm but sort of think I will need to go with the 5mm, but if the air temps are still in the 80's I may just go with the 3, as the water will be in he 70's

Water in the Keys is still above 80, so I guess the Tortugas are still there too. They MAY slip into the high 70s in the next few weeks, but the weather down here has been beautiful. That being said, by the 4th or 5th dive a day you might start to feel cold, and the two best dives, the relay tower and Baja California are off the coast of Naples in the Gulf of Mexico. The water will be colder there for sure. Another idea instead of loading up on a heavy wetsuit is to bring a 3 mil and a hooded vest for when you start to feel cold. At the very least bring a hood or beani- you wont regret it. I am diving the Stoney Point and Fantastico sixty miles off Naples/Fort Myers Beach this Sunday, so I will let you know what the water temps are there.

Many people bring their own big tank on the UG- especially if hunting. Almost every dive in the Tortugas is 70 feet, so it is nice to have a bigger tank.

I drive by the UG every day to and from work, so I often think how I should of/would of.....but then again the family obligations will be fun too.

As promised...

I dove two wrecks and a ledge about 60 miles off Fort Myers Beach yesterday. Surface temps were 77 degrees. On the Stoney Point bottom temps at 131 fsw were 76 degrees- no thermocline. I wore a three mil and was fine, but was also hunting pretty hard so my mind wasnt on the water temp.

I am kind of a cold water wuss, so you will have to make up your mind what works best for you. I still think the three mill with a hooded vest would be the way to go for most people.

Thanks for the update. I am leaning towards the 3mm right now but may call the boat the day before to get an update on the water temps.

Appreciate the report.

matts1w:
As promised...

I dove two wrecks and a ledge about 60 miles off Fort Myers Beach yesterday. Surface temps were 77 degrees. On the Stoney Point bottom temps at 131 fsw were 76 degrees- no thermocline. I wore a three mil and was fine, but was also hunting pretty hard so my mind wasnt on the water temp.

I am kind of a cold water wuss, so you will have to make up your mind what works best for you. I still think the three mill with a hooded vest would be the way to go for most people.

Thanks for the update Matt. I would agree, as some people get cold in 77 degree waters, and some people dive all year down here, in 65-72 degree water, wearing only a 3 mill.

For me personalley, I would rather dive my dry-suit , then be cold, i hate the cold water. But for open water diving, like we will be doing, I'll be bringing my wet-suits, as the upper 70's if just to hot to wear a dry-suit. My me to go dry, idela water temps with a 150 undergarment would be 65-72.

I'll be bringing both a 5-4-3 , and also a 3-2 wesuites, and have a hood as well, thats where most of your heat is lost.

My buddy dives right now, this past weekend in a skin, we had water temps of 75-76 , and i was in a 3-2 , and was just comfy.

A few questions, :

Being this is my first live-aboard, how does the buddy system work, does everyone have a buddy, or is it find who wants to dive, and dive with them, etc.

Also are we doing any night dives, so I should bring my canister light ?

Anyone here taking UW photo's ? I just upgraded my whole UW camera set-up to a Oly C-8080 8mp camera, with wide angle lens, and Ikelite Ds-125 strobe , so this will
be my first time shooting with it, I plan on taking alot of photo's.

Also, do people bring their laptops, to download any movies and photo's onto, so i can edit them at night and see whats ettings I should be shooting with?

Speaking of laptops, is there room for your own private gear, i know there are bunks, thats why I'm asking.

Also, does anyone know what we plan on diving ? Is there a plan?

I'll answer based on my trip there in June - it was a photo trip (but I'm assuming it will be a similar setup).

how does the buddy system work, does everyone have a buddy, or is it find who wants to dive, and dive with them, etc.
they don't mandate buddies - so you can go it alone or hook up with someone or a group depending on what you want. I'm guessing most the divers on this trip will do all the dives (on my previous trip a few sat some out)

Also are we doing any night dives, so I should bring my canister light ?
yes - there are night dives on Fri and Sat (weather permitting) - usually the same place as a twilight dive is done

FLTEKDIVER:
Anyone here taking UW photo's ? I just upgraded my whole UW camera set-up to a Oly C-8080 8mp camera, with wide angle lens, and Ikelite Ds-125 strobe , so this will
be my first time shooting with it, I plan on taking alot of photo's.
yes - I certainly will and I'm sure so will quite a few others (photo and video)

FLTEKDIVER:
Also, do people bring their laptops, to download any movies and photo's onto, so i can edit them at night and see whats ettings I should be shooting with?

Speaking of laptops, is there room for your own private gear, i know there are bunks, thats why I'm asking.
I don't - but last time one or 2 people did - there are tables/eelctrical outlets in the area where food is served (so there is space there apart from meal times) - during meals you could just stick the laptop on your bunk. If your gear needs several power outlets, bring one of those strip thingys.

Also, does anyone know what we plan on diving ? Is there a plan?
not sure - I'm sure some of the dives will be outside the sanctuary for hunting/lobsetering and some will be in the sanctuary (photos and sightseeing only)
They sail overnight and the idea is you wake up for breakfast mored to the first dive site.....on the sunday morning there are 2 early dives (probably the best of the trip) - Baja California and the Airforce Towers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom