Dry Glove Insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When it's really cold. I also pop a pair of those chemical heat packs into my gloves (between the liner and outer glove. They make a tremendous difference.

Can't the higher pp02 at depth cause a chemical burn with those? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere... I.e. A burn to your skin because they get too hot.

I dived them at God's Pocket last year in 46° water but the air was about the same. I didn't even notice my hands, although I kept my gloves on while on the boat deck. We'll be there for two weeks next month so it should be a bit colder than last April.
I agree with the others that 48°F isn’t very cold, but that is the water temp this weekend. Ice diving is planned next weekend and the water will be 36-39°F which is as cold as I need to be in with the exception of a few winter river dives.

Can't the higher pp02 at depth cause a chemical burn with those? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere... I.e. A burn to your skin because they get too hot.

Well in theory, but I think it's only an issue if you're pumping your suit full of high-test Nitrox. The main thing is that you don't want them right up against your skin. They're commonly used in these parts, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. Honestly, the amount of "heat" that I can feel coming from these things is minimal, but it does make a difference.

I can't see what that second link refers to, but that first one was all over the place. It's a large pack and it was directly against his back. Looking at the position, I suspect that it was being held in place by the weight of his tank pressing against it. This is a fair comparison to what I do.

I received my shipment the Atlas 720 gloves today. The material looks very promising. Unfortunately, the sizing will likely be a dealbreaker for me. I wear the XXL 660, and the XXL 720 is cut differently. The fingers of the 720 are shorter, and the overall feel of the glove is smaller. I can jam my hand into the 720 with the Xerotherm liners, but they are more than likely too tight offer any benefit over the 660. They weren't a huge investment, but I'm pretty sure I'll return them and stick with the 660.
To get this thread back on track with insulation, I have some liners from Mountain Hardwear that are pretty light, some newer style liners from Patagonia that are OK, but not as warm as the old school fleece liners from Patagonia that I have been wearing for many years, and I just picked up the Fourth Element Xerotherm liners. They seem very nice and fit well, but I'm struggling to find liners that they fit in. Depending on the size of your hand, YMMV. I have had OK luck with rubber dry gloves, but if you get a hole in one during a dive, there is a much greater chance of catastrophic glove failure than with any of the gloves that have a fabric support lining in them. I've typically chosen my liners based on the fit and finish of the seams and the bulkiness of the liner. The name brand gloves seem to be finished cleaner than some of the cheaper gloves. YMMV.

I mean't ZipGLoves
I don't know for sure, but I'd would bet yes. They are dirt cheap. Buy a pair and try it.

I don't know for sure, but I'd would bet yes. They are dirt cheap. Buy a pair and try it.

Experiment underway using contact cement on thin disposable nitrile glove.

Contact cement worked great on thin disposable nitrile gloves, could not pull it apart without tearing nitrile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom