Dry glove help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef, just a quick confirmation, the Ultima fits into the oval rings?

For the record I’m completely happy with the Antaries at this point but I’m all for trying new stuff, like the disastrous ellipse system. The tool put me off on the Ultima but if the go on and off without hassle I’m will to try.

The Ultimas fit the PU ring of the QCS oval system. The rigid oval ring is removed and the wrist seal is mounted on the rigid round cuff ring that comes with the Ultima setup, this round ring is designed to integrate with the PU ring of the oval system glued into the suit sleeve cuff.

Local dive shop sells the Ultima system for 124 Euros...last I checked they had 2 sets new in box...if the price is interesting let me know by private message, I have access to the USPS via the Army Post Office on the base I am at.

-Z

For the record I’m completely happy with the Antaries at this point but I’m all for trying new stuff, like the disastrous ellipse system. The tool put me off on the Ultima but if the go on and off without hassle I’m will to try.

The setup comes with a little plastic pry bar that looks like a bicycle tire lever. I have yet to need to use it to pop the glove rings from the cuff rings...mind you that it seals from a very good interference and o-ring fit...popping the glove rings off the cuff rings can take a bit of force after the dive, especially when the o-ring is new, but I have never needed anyone to help me or needed to use a tool to get them apart...once one is accustomed to the amount of force needed to pry them apart it becomes simple to doff them. The force needed to get them apart is reassuring from the standpoint that they will not inadvertently come apart during a dive like some have experienced with the Anateres. Donning them is much less finicky than the Ellipse system...

...the biggest complaint about the Ultimas is that a spare set of glove side rings, for those who want them, cost almost as much as the full set. I lucked out when I traded a set of Ellipse for a set of Ultimas a couple of months ago, the guy threw in an extra set of glove rings he had laying about.

To fourth elements credit, they have made some running changes with regard to the sealing o-ring, and the groove of the cuff side rings that is supposed to help them seal better and go together easier without the o-ring trying to extrude out of the groove it sits in. I have the new pieces of this system currently on my suit but some other priorities have gotten in the way of me doing any diving since I got my drysuit back from Aqualung....I plan to put these new pieces for the Ellipse through their paces on a few more dives before making up my mind about them, but I can assure you though that I will be moving back to the my Ultima DGS setup as it just works better. I got the Ellipse just to test and review because there is a lack of independent info out about it, just repeated ad copy.

-Z

The setup comes with a little plastic pry bar that looks like a bicycle tire lever. I have yet to need to use it to pop the glove rings from the cuff rings...mind you that it seals from a very good interference and o-ring fit...popping the glove rings off the cuff rings can take a bit of force after the dive, especially when the o-ring is new, but I have never needed anyone to help me or needed to use a tool to get them apart...once one is accustomed to the amount of force needed to pry them apart it becomes simple to doff them. The force needed to get them apart is reassuring from the standpoint that they will not inadvertently come apart during a dive like some have experienced with the Anateres. Donning them is much less finicky than the Ellipse system...

...the biggest complaint about the Ultimas is that a spare set of glove side rings, for those who want them, cost almost as much as the full set. I lucked out when I traded a set of Ellipse for a set of Ultimas a couple of months ago, the guy threw in an extra set of glove rings he had laying about.

To fourth elements credit, they have made some running changes with regard to the sealing o-ring, and the groove of the cuff side rings that is supposed to help them seal better and go together easier without the o-ring trying to extrude out of the groove it sits in. I have the new pieces of this system currently on my suit but some other priorities have gotten in the way of me doing any diving since I got my drysuit back from Aqualung....I plan to put these new pieces for the Ellipse through their paces on a few more dives before making up my mind about them, but I can assure you though that I will be moving back to the my Ultima DGS setup as it just works better. I got the Ellipse just to test and review because there is a lack of independent info out about it, just repeated ad copy.

-Z
I’ve already ordered a set, since two of you have claimed that the tool isn’t needed, that was a step in the right direction, now if they aren’t to bulky that will be a plus. Should have then before to long but they may miss Saturday’s dive.

The Ultimas fit the PU ring of the QCS oval system. The rigid oval ring is removed and the wrist seal is mounted on the rigid round cuff ring that comes with the Ultima setup, this round ring is designed to integrate with the PU ring of the oval system glued into the suit sleeve cuff.

Local dive shop sells the Ultima system for 124 Euros...last I checked they had 2 sets new in box...if the price is interesting let me know by private message, I have access to the USPS via the Army Post Office on the base I am at.

-Z

Where was that deal on Monday? Lol, I just paid $160 USD, and thought I was getting a good deal...

I’ve already ordered a set, since two of you have claimed that the tool isn’t needed, that was a step in the right direction, now if they aren’t to bulky that will be a plus. Should have then before to long but they may miss Saturday’s dive.

If using glove like the showa 720, heat the glove retaining o-rings in hot water to make them easier to stretch. When mounting the glove don't think of it as stretching the glove and o-ring onto the ring, thinking it more along the lines of mauling the o-ring and glove onto the ring....push it over instead of stretch and pull and you should gave an easier time getting the gloves mounted. If you are using a latex glove things are fairly simple with regard to mounting.

-Z

If using glove like the showa 720, heat the glove retaining o-rings in hot water to make them easier to stretch. When mounting the glove don't think of it as stretching the glove and o-ring onto the ring, thinking it more along the lines of mauling the o-ring and glove onto the ring....push it over instead of stretch and pull and you should gave an easier time getting the gloves mounted. If you are using a latex glove things are fairly simple with regard to mounting.

-Z
My hands still ache from the ellipse experience.

Back
Top Bottom