Dry glove help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the 720's to 50 degrees with no liners. Below that I'll wear a liner. They do not transfer temperature like rubber or pvc. They are also more puncture, tear, and abrasive resistant that the others. Over 250 dives on my 720's, not a single issue. That speaks for itself because I am not easy on my gear. Grab a coffee or 10 and go read the Ultima dry glove thread here. It's something like 103 pages of information.
I’ve read the Ultima thread, I attribute most of the no liner claims to cold tolerance or the advocates diving warm water, as I age my tolerance has changed from always using 1mm wet gloves only a few years ago, trying dry gloves from time to time but finding them more trouble than they are worth to never diving without them.

I started with Antaries. Got a new suit, got Kubi. Had both. I'll take Kubi any day.
The Antaries were much more delicate. Thin little O-rings and everything has to be 'just right'. When things are perfect, great. When they are not it can be a struggle to get them so. Kubi is so simple and just works. Big fat easy to work with O-rings in nice big grooves. I have more important things to deal with instead of fussing with dry gloves. The Kubi sizing makes for a more compact system than the one size fits all ovals (at least for me with the 80mm).

The no seals is key to no liner. It allows the warm air in your suit to freely move around. That is what keeps your hands warm.

One need only be smarter than the equipment they are working on.

Or one can invest in gear that works as it should and that they don't need to worry about getting lined up, popping off inadvertently, indexing, etc. I like the Ultima DGS because there are things in life I want and need to be smart(er) about....trying to crack the code on how to get Si-Tech's system to work properly due to its design shortcomings is not something I am interested in, especially when there are products on the market that are intended for the same purpose that work great out of the box.

I have no concern about popping on my Ultimas and diving in 3c water on a day that has -5 air temp....I would have significant reservations about the antares system, and I would be inhibited by the worry that moving/reaching might cause them to pop or leak which would make things significantly uncomfortable until I am out of the water and can get my hands dry and warmed up. I can't justify the worry and bother from a system that would force its complications on me when I can avoid it....perhaps that is truly being smarter than the equipment.
-Z

The no seals is key to no liner. It allows the warm air in your suit to freely move around. That is what keeps your hands warm.
It’s why I trim my seals so much, just dip my hands up behind me and they air up.

Or one can invest in gear that works as it should and that they don't need to worry about getting lined up, popping off inadvertently, indexing, etc. I like the Ultima DGS because there are things in life I want and need to be smart(er) about....trying to crack the code on how to get Si-Tech's system to work properly due to its design shortcomings is not something I am interested in, especially when there are products on the market that are intended for the same purpose that work great out of the box.

I have no concern about popping on my Ultimas and diving in 3c water on a day that has -5 air temp....I would have significant reservations about the antares system, and I would be inhibited by the worry that moving/reaching might cause them to pop or leak which would make things significantly uncomfortable until I am out of the water and can get my hands dry and warmed up. I can't justify the worry and bother from a system that would force its complications on me when I can avoid it....perhaps that is truly being smarter than the equipment.
-Z
Once I got the set they have been absolutely trouble free but I live to try new stuff and always looks for better, so where to get the best deal on the Ultima? Kubi ship has sailed because I have si-tech ovals in both suits.

Zef, just a quick confirmation, the Ultima fits into the oval rings?

For the record I’m completely happy with the Antaries at this point but I’m all for trying new stuff, like the disastrous ellipse system. The tool put me off on the Ultima but if the go on and off without hassle I’m will to try.

The Ultimas fit the oval ring. To don and doff I put the lower portion of the ring on then rest it against my chest to hold it. I then grab the top of the ring and press them together.

To take them apart I do the opposite. Press the lower edge of ring in my chest, pull the upper portion. Legitimately takes less than a second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom