drive to 5000ft. after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Kim, wile it was a long thread it wasn't a very good one.
I agree Mike. However , for all it's carbunkles it did have an answer from Dr Deco in there, and the thoughts of DAN/NOAA. (and also most people don't have a clue what M-values are!)
It depends I suppose - I personally wouldn't go to 5000ft following certain dive profiles. But then maybe I'm overly conservative.

Spoon:
nope 600m, the top of the peak where i drive to by taal volcano is around 5500-5800feet.

Spoon, from the diving spots to Tagaytay will take you at least 24 hours to get there given the traffice so you'll be fine.:D

A rough rule of thumb is that every 1000 feet is equivalent 1 feet of water. So going up 6000 feet is 6 feet up. Not a factor assuming you're not bent. Even that, emergency helicopter pilots stay below 8000 feet as their rule of thumb.

Hopefully, Dr. Deco will shed more light on this.

Spoon:
guys after diving i usually stay at our cabin at roughly 600m or 5000ish ft altitude. would this pose a problem? i do this 80% of the time and never had any problems yet i know people who have gotten the bends from doing this. where excatly do you draw the line on safe no altitude driving?

It all depends on the profiles and how long after the dive you are going to altitude..

in fact someone running the NDLs to the limit is at a higher risk than someone who planned a deco dive with the proper gasses..

as a general rule, I wait at least 2 to 3 hours before going to ANY altitude, the higher you are going to go the longer you should wait..

The next version of ANDI-Gap diveplanning software will actually address this issue.. It will allow you to put in a maximum altitude, and a gas youd like to breathe on the surface whether it be air or anything up to oxygen and tell you how long you have to wait before ascending..

angryguy777:
I thought airlines were pressurized to 6000 ft? I may be wrong, but I was told this went I went into an altitude chamber once.
Actual cabin pressures vary, but NOAA calculations use 8000'... presumably to be conservative.

MSilvia:
Actual cabin pressures vary, but NOAA calculations use 8000'... presumably to be conservative.
That's because the FAA limit for normal operation of a commercial passenger airplane is 8000'.

I have been on one plane, however, that reduced the pressure further, to 10,000' as part of the procedure for dealing with an Cargo Door Not Latched warning indicator. No problems though for me as it was already 17 hours after a dive the previous evening.

DiveGolfSki:
Spoon, from the diving spots to Tagaytay will take you at least 24 hours to get there given the traffice so you'll be fine.:D

A rough rule of thumb is that every 1000 feet is equivalent 1 feet of water. So going up 6000 feet is 6 feet up. Not a factor assuming you're not bent. Even that, emergency helicopter pilots stay below 8000 feet as their rule of thumb.

Hopefully, Dr. Deco will shed more light on this.

bro it takes me an hour and a half to get to tagaytay from anilao. and thats with traffic. i take this route going home 80% of the time

There has been some drift away from topic, and I don't see this clarified, so...
Spoon:
nope 600m, the top of the peak where i drive to by taal volcano is around 5500-5800feet.
From: http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/houseandlots/cav-tag-rh-762/
LOCATION Metro Tagaytay, Philippines
ELEVATION Average about 500 M above sea level.

His cabin may well be at 600 meters, but his is in error: "...600m or 5000ish ft altitude."

600 meters = 1968.504 feet or 328.084 fathoms if anyone perefes those...?

Spoon:
bro it takes me an hour and a half to get to tagaytay from anilao. and thats with traffic. i take this route going home 80% of the time
So, that is a smaller increase in elevation than originally asked about...??

The NOAA dive manual suggest no waiting required for a H-group diver based on the Navy charts, up to 10 hours for a Z-group diver from those charts.

DandyDon:
The NOAA dive manual suggest no waiting required for a H-group diver based on the Navy charts, up to 10 hours for a Z-group diver from those charts.
And those recommendations are for immediate ascents, rather than the staged ascent/decompression that would normally take place during a drive up a hill.

My advice to divers in Maui that want to visit the 10,000' summit of Haleakala to see dawn the day after doing some morning & early afternoon dives is to stop and grab an early breakfast halfway up the hill. Kind of like a deco stop.

If somebody wanted to, they could enter everything into a deco program such as V-Planner or GAP by treating the whole thing as a dive at the maximum altitude, with the surface intervals equivalent to extended stays at a few feet of depth.

MSilvia:
Flying is calculated using 8000' as the cabin pressure, so it's a little different.

My understanding is its not just the cabin pressure, but also the chance of unexpeced decompression thats the issue. If you were at 8000 ft in the cabin of an aircraft and some part of the pressurization system failed you would be transported to flight altitude very quickly.

Dosn't need to be a hull failure, the most common cause for presurization failure is sticking of the overpressure relief valve. or failure of the control system. Standard proceedure for either is to turn off presurization immededatly, a rapid descent, and proceed to the nearest alternate landing site.

DandyDon:
There has been some drift away from topic, and I don't see this clarified, so...

From: http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/houseandlots/cav-tag-rh-762/
LOCATION Metro Tagaytay, Philippines
ELEVATION Average about 500 M above sea level.

His cabin may well be at 600 meters, but his is in error: "...600m or 5000ish ft altitude."

600 meters = 1968.504 feet or 328.084 fathoms if anyone perefes those...?

thanks for the clarification tagaytay is indeed 600m. my estimate of 5000ish ft was a big exaggerated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom