Dredging at the Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver:
I "heard" that the main plan was to reinforce walls and the banks. I just hope that a major mess is not made........

OT - Jason, I like your new avator pic!! Who snapped that one and where?

Hey buddy, long time no see. Wish I could make it out there this weekend with you guys, but Trish is coming back from her trip to DC this weekend, and we have 3 different family birthdays to go to :( I am planning on being there Monday to get a couple dives in before the dredging starts.
Juli took that pic last sunday at BH, didn't know she was taking my picture with my mask off until she emailed it to me. She just got a new Sea&Sea camera from the shop for her trip to Roatan with the kids.
Take care.

Kbear:
Just curious, do you know the exact plans that they are doing? Are the dredging, or reinforcing the walls, or both. Any info would be nice. Thanks.

I am not sure, but I will see if I can find out. The only thing she mentioned to me was the dredging. I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Anyone knows if the Fruit Piranhas are still there? What about the fantail goldfish and crawdads? I figured they'd go first....

DandyDon:
Anyone knows if the Fruit Piranhas are still there? What about the fantail goldfish and crawdads? I figured they'd go first....

I did NOT see the Fruit Piranhas when we were there a couple weekends ago.

Yes on the Fantail goldfish, and goldfish/Koi in general. There were still a ton of crawdads out and about.

DandyDon:

I saw one piranha, lots of crawdads, and one fantail last sunday when we where out there.

Kbear:
Just curious, do you know the exact plans that they are doing? Are the dredging, or reinforcing the walls, or both. Any info would be nice. Thanks.

Ok, according to what I just heard, they are planning on just dedging. The enviromental paperwork is not ready appearantly for anything else yet, and she doesn't think that the funding will be approved for the stabilization project until atleast October. She is going to let me know if she hears of any changes.
I am just passing on what I learn, so if the plans change don't shoot the messanger :D

Jasonmh:
I saw one piranha, lots of crawdads, and one fantail last sunday when we where out there.
:hmmm: You saw one of them, Ron didn't? Certainly possible, but they would stick together if they were both there. But if the crawdads and fantail are doing well, wonder what the characins would be eating? Well, glad the bugs and fannies are ok...

DandyDon:
..Certainly possible, but they would stick together if they were both there. QUOTE]

It is certainly possible that they were both there, the viz was really bad, and it wasn't too close, so the other one might have been behind it and I didn't notice.

DandyDon:
..Certainly possible, but they would stick together if they were both there.
Jasonmh:
It is certainly possible that they were both there, the viz was really bad, and it wasn't too close, so the other one might have been behind it and I didn't notice.

Just because I did not see them does not mean they were not there. It's also possible that one died, which would make it difficult for them to stick together!

Vis was rather good on the bottom while I was there, but much worst from 40' to the surface likely do to a huge amount of OW students, and other classes.

I'm sure the dredging is going to screw things up, big time! :D Fortunately, life has a way of pushing through.

Yeah, also possible...

RonFrank:
Just because I did not see them does not mean they were not there. It's also possible that one died, which would make it difficult for them to stick together!

Vis was rather good on the bottom while I was there, but much worst from 40' to the surface likely do to a huge amount of OW students, and other classes.
Yep, possible as well. And they are upper level fish, I think - so if they viz was as bad as last time I was there - they could have doubled their size and gone unnoticed.

As long as the mudbugs and the fantail are doing well, I guess things are ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom