Blue Hole NM Collapse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The report Capt'n Dave shared says the debris field is 35 feet deep. That's nearly half the depth at Blue Hole. Is it really that much?
No, that isn't correct either. depth hasn't significantly changed. The silty area without rocks that was near the 25' platform anchor is actually deeper.

The impact blew a bunch of silt out of that area, and I'm 99% certain that the old silty area is now deeper.

There's also a rock that fell opposite the debris field (see below) and when we were down there last time I thought that "the crack" was bigger and may have had more flow. That's pretty subjective and a guess, but my buddy thought the same thing. I've attached a couple of sketches for reference, apologies in advance for the (lack of) quality of the artwork. :)

View from the top:
top.jpg

Bottom Before:
bottom before.jpg

Bottom After:

bottom after.jpg

Here are a few pictures. Unfortunately, most of what we took didn't have artificial light, and we were on a backup GoPro.

The line near the photo's center is the 15' platform. Al the rocks to the diver's left are part of the new debris field. The large rock is pressing up against the anchor line.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 100951.png

Turning toward the 25' platform
Screenshot 2024-07-11 101057.png

The old silty area. The large rock on the top left is where the 25' anchor was.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 101213.png

Another view of the old silty side, at the end of the debris field.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 101301.png

View from the silty area toward the wall where the 25' platform was. The platform would have been just left, out of the picture.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 101329.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom