Draining a tank too fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is fine to leave good air in a tank it will still be good when you use it later however if it was bad air all bets are off. The biggest cause of stress a tank will be subject to (in normal life assuming no fires, bombings, car wrecks, or earthquakes) is when the internal pressure changes.

pescador775:
If you can't believe anyone why post here? Just had to ask. I don't believe much that a dive instructor or dive shop owner tells me. Here, everything is written so is easy to check details if necessary.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck.

Sorry but I think you missunderstand me. I dont "believe" things people say unless I can understand the reasoning behind it. The Instructor couldnt give a reason so I didnt assume what he said was true.
What you said on the other hand sounded very reasoned and after researching it a bit more I assume it is true. And checking details is always necessary :)
So yes indeed you have been helpfull, thank you.

Do you believe the Bible? Do you believe Einstein? Do you believe your physician? Was there sufficient reasoning behind it or was it just "assumed" when he said "take two pills and come back in a week"? LOL, you just got lucky with this situation; eg someone was willing to spend time to explore details of a subject which is just common knowledge (presumed, sometimes) by experienced divers and those with scientific backgrounds. Don't expect the same every day, everytime, especially here. We're not absolute geniuses but in time you will learn who you can trust. First thing to ask, "what is he selling"? Glad it was helpful.

PaulS_1:
What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Attach your regulator and pressure gauge, sit at your computer reading Scubaboard, and breathe it down. Record your SAC (Scubaboard Air Consumption).

Personally, I would just keep it and dive it 8 months from now, but what do I know?

Do I believe the bible? No, I have never read it so how could I believe it. Do I believe Einstein? What work of his I understand I assume is correct. My physician? same again. Dr's have been know to be wrong so has Einstein. So are you saying I should have believed this guy? Are you saying I should believe you without researching it further or to gain more infomation? Have you never been wrong? Is everything on SB true?
What was he selling? First time he said it he was selling air. Last time he was commenting on some rust in a steel tank.
Im glad you were helpfull too, and Im sure many of your other posts have been and will continue to be helpfull but expecting everyone to have 100% faith that they are 100% correct and complete without question is a bit much.

Packhorse:
I know but this is the shop owner/ head instructor :(

Unfortunately the dive industry is inundated with lots of people who have heard one thing or another in the past and just keep passing it on. They don't know the history, so they just say you do it that way because...

I'm not sure where not releasing tank pressure too fast came from. Probably from the days of J-valves when you couldn't tell the psi of the tank by looking at a gauge.

There's also the 1/4 turn back on valve thing. It annoys me to no end when DMs on boats do this. I like my valve all the way open. The reason for the 1/4 turn back was the old valves could get stuck in the open position. Can't close the valve, can't remove the regulator. The new valves are engineered so that getting stuck is not much of an issue. Besides, even if it did get stuck, I would just purge the air from the tank using my reg!

There are others, but I can't think of them right now. They're all pretty ridiculous once you research the history and find out why it was done that way...and find out it's no longer an issue.

Thanks everyone, I feel better now. I should have asked you guys instead of the LDS in the first place.

Dive-aholic:
There's also the 1/4 turn back on valve thing. It annoys me to no end when DMs on boats do this. I like my valve all the way open. The reason for the 1/4 turn back was the old valves could get stuck in the open position. Can't close the valve, can't remove the regulator. The new valves are engineered so that getting stuck is not much of an issue. Besides, even if it did get stuck, I would just purge the air from the tank using my reg!

The reason for this as i understand it is if the valve is stiff and you leave it all the way open it might be assumed its off and someone might break it, another thing i was in the British Royal Navy we did it there on everything, if a valve is stiff its off, if you can turn it its on (ie turnd on fully then back 1/4 of a turn.) its open.

anyway whats thew harn of the 1/4 of a turn!! disassemble the valve and you will see the last 1-2 turns don't open it any more!!

cayman diver:
anyway whats thew harn of the 1/4 of a turn!! disassemble the valve and you will see the last 1-2 turns don't open it any more!!

Some people confuse the direction of the valve and end up entering the water with the valve only turned on 1/4 turn. They can breathe at the surface but once they descend the reg no longer provides enough or even any air. If you make the habit of turning it all the way on it eliminates this possibility

Back
Top Bottom