Dragging Revo to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keeper.jpg

Hi @Mouth Breather, I've brought my rEvo to Cozumel 3 times. You are correct that to my knowledge, Deep Exposure is the only operator that has a booster on island. They also have rental tanks available (if you dont bring your own) and sell sorb. If you are diving with Deep Exposure then it's usually no problem however they do not always like to support divers diving with other operators, especially if they are really busy. I would recommend emailing them and inquiring up front. Don (the owner) is pretty cool guy and usually accommodating.

Last I checked a keg of sorb was around $280 but this was a couple years ago. I believe he sells by the kg too, at least they used to.

If you have a good relationship with another dive operator on the island they can probably get you 140 bar non-boosted (2000psi) O2 fills from Meridiano 87 but you would want to work that out with them in advance.

I wrote a thread about it a while back. I'll try to find it. This might be helpful but some of the information is a little outdated.
Bringing your rebreather to Cozumel - Dive Operator Experience & Logistics

To be completely honest, I would not bother bringing your rebreather unless you are able to get a dive buddy that can do a longer profile to take advantage of it. Having a rebreather in Cozumel is awesome however the novelty wears off quickly if you're limited to the same dive profiles as everyone else. It is a good way to build hours but you're going to be running around for fills, packing scrubbers at night when you could just dive a single tank.

This isn't Coz or rEvo related, but I frequently dive with OC buddies and bring my CCR. Yes, it means that I might be doing some gear maintenance when they are at the bar or sleeping in, but the more you do it the quicker you get at it. It's not just the hours underwater that builds CCR experience.

I love diving my CCR, even if I'm with single tank rec buddies. If nothing else, it lets me get closer to marine life. It's nice and quiet. And I just enjoy diving it - I don't see diving as a task that has to be accomplished as quickly and as efficiently as possible, for me part of the fun is building and maintaining the unit. And I always have plenty of time at the bar with my buddies!

Find a rebreather friendly place, and definitely get tanks and sorb there. It's hard enough traveling with a CCR.

Here's my carryon bag packed with the rebreather head, both regulators, controller and NERD, plus my DSLR in a Nauticam housing, two ports, two lenses and two strobes.

carryon.JPG

I don't want to discourage you as I love and prefer diving CCR when I go away but Cozumel isn't always the best and easiest place for rebreather logistics. It's a good way to build hours too. I've pretty much decided that unless I am cave diving or doing longer / deeper dives then the rebreather stays home.

I will say that if you dive with Deep Exposure they'll usually cool about you doing a bit longer dives and they will send people up on their own or your girlfriend could go with the DM. I have no issues with them but I have some other dive operator loyalties due to long time friends that live and work on the island so I end up diving with different operators and people. I think Deep Exposure really prefers you dive with them if you use their services. I could very well be mistaken but that was the general vibe I got from them.

Depending on when you're going down Deep Exposure also does dedicated tech weeks (I think usually in February). You'd be able to get some longer runtimes with other CCR and divers in doubles. They can do mixed groups.

Here's my carryon bag packed with the rebreather head, both regulators, controller and NERD, plus my DSLR in a Nauticam housing, two ports, two lenses and two strobes.
View attachment 514341

i also pack the whole meg with canister (head/scrubber can) + lights on a seahorse 830 carryon (which is now listed for $80 on wallmart) and take it with me. regs on my backpack with me. checked bag has bc, reels etc.
we had a terrible moment a couple of years ago traveling as a group of 4 CCR friends, where the guys who had their CCRs on the checked luggage, just found and empty suitcase and a TSA notice that the CCR was removed as hazardous material :wink:... luckily lots of people helped and the units were recovered... but. i wouldn't consider checking my unit anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom