Dragging Revo to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help me decide weather to do this or just go OC. I recently completed the 40m class and am eager to get hours on my Revo. I plan to visit Cozumel with my open-circuit girlfriend in June...maybe she'll be AOW by then.

It looks like the main (only) outfit I can get sorb, tanks, and fills from is Deep Exposure. With her on OC, and me on CCR, I'm starting to think this is an overly complicated route with boat schedules etc. What is your experience traveling with the Revo, and have you done so with open circuit divers?

Help me decide weather to do this or just go OC. I recently completed the 40m class and am eager to get hours on my Revo. I plan to visit Cozumel with my open-circuit girlfriend in June...maybe she'll be AOW by then.

It looks like the main (only) outfit I can get sorb, tanks, and fills from is Deep Exposure. With her on OC, and me on CCR, I'm starting to think this is an overly complicated route with boat schedules etc. What is your experience traveling with the Revo, and have you done so with open circuit divers?
Not a rEvo diver myself but I have had many pleasant experiences with Deep Exposure. They run a very professional operation and have full rebreather support. They often run mixed boats with rec OC divers and RB diver. I have seen lots of rEvo divers at Deep Exposure over the years I have been returning to dive with them.

i have done it, but i would tend to suggest to just go with her and be a buddy on oc, so that you both enjoy relaxed diving. then maybe keep the ccr for a later trip, maybe even better solo or with ccr buddies. don't forget that you would need to pack/dump scrubbers, sterilize CLs, do checklists, get o2 fills etc etc and that could intimidate your gf off diving completely. once she is more confident and enjoys diving for what it is then things will be different :) but i know the feeling of wanting to dive your unit on any possible chance you get :)

Thanks for the input guys...my gf has been around me and the rebreather for a bit now so I don't think she'll be intimidated by it...she just makes fun of me, "ooOOOO hot **** diver" lol. If I can find sorb, fills, and bailout in PDC for the cenotes dives I think I'll go ahead and lug the revo along.

Which leads me to ask, when you travel with your ccr, do you bring your O2/dil tanks? I think I'd at least have to bring brackets.

I'm going to get the travel brackets for my rEvo for when I fly and rent cylinders.

https://www.oceanedgeoutfitters.com/Travel-Tank-Fixation-Oxygen-Side-rEvo-R586-p/revo-r586.htm

https://www.oceanedgeoutfitters.com/Travel-Tank-Fixation-Diluent-Side-rEvo-R587-p/revo-r587.htm

Flying with cylinders doesn't seem worth the trouble. Especially if they are available to rent at my destination.

Next time I go to Coz, I definitely plan to take my rEvo. Last time I went, I was using AL100s (diving OC single tank) and always the first one back on the boat. :(

As for cenote diving, I would think you could get everything you need from Deep Exposure and just take it all on the ferry over with you. No need to find CCR support in PDC. MAYBE rent your BO from whoever you're doing the cenote dives with, but I would have full cylinders mounted and scrubber packed before I got on the ferry, I think. Presuming there's no regulations against that (regarding transport of scuba cylinders on the ferry).

Your g/f is comfortable diving with you on CCR. There is good support for diving your rEvo there. Seems like a no-brainer, to me. :D

I'm glad you posted this. I did a couple of cenote dives the first time I went down there (right after OW) and loved it. Haven't done any cenotes since. It had not even occurred to me to think about doing cenote dives on my rEvo next time. What a great idea!

Thanks for the input guys...my gf has been around me and the rebreather for a bit now so I don't think she'll be intimidated by it...she just makes fun of me, "ooOOOO hot **** diver" lol. If I can find sorb, fills, and bailout in PDC for the cenotes dives I think I'll go ahead and lug the revo along.

Which leads me to ask, when you travel with your ccr, do you bring your O2/dil tanks? I think I'd at least have to bring brackets.
Island Divers in Cozumel also has rebreather support they stock sofnolime and have o2 and diluent cylinders for rent. I haven't used them yet as we have been going to Grand Cayman lately, but I have had conversations with them through Facebook. They will let you dive your rebreather while your gf dives OC, that would be my choice to get as many hours on as possible .

@stuartv I need those brackets too, thanks for the reminder. For the cenotes, I emailed "Cenote Experience" and they do have the O2, dilluent, and bailout tanks available for rent, so all I need is fresh sorb from either Deep Exposure or Island Divers (thanks for that @reddiver970).

So indeed there is support for CCR in PDC and Coz so definitely a no-brainer!

Thanks everyone!!
Jim

I have the same issue from time to time, as my family is all OC.

I'm unlikely to deal with all the extra gear and logistics if its just a long weekend, I'm on the only one on a rebreather, and I'm doing recreational profiles anyway. But, it didn't involve too much extra hassle, and I wanted to stay sharp or gain hours, I'd do it if it were just me and the wife.

If the kids are diving, it's OC only for me since I'm functioning as a personal dive master for inexperienced divers and I don't think it's good practice to be on CCR in that instance. I don't want the task loading nor the hassle of going up and down the water column chasing kiddos and having to adjust my loop all the time. Plus, I'm having to wrangle them and help with gear and that's too much distraction at a time when I working through a checklist or pre-breathing or whatever.

I guess that's my only caveat. As long as your GF is truly self-sufficient so you can concentrate your own pre-flight and diving, no reason not to do it as long as you're willing to put up with a little more hassle than strapping on an 80 and jumping in.

The other option would be upgrading to a closed circuit girlfriend, but that can get expensive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom