DPV research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because they're not approved/tested to be shipped internationally.
Even the dude making them will tell you that.

Not even sea freight?

ditch the leak detector, they are a waste IMO. if you have a leak and the unit was properly setup (perfectly trim and neutral) that sucker is going to sink when there is ANY leak or water intrusion. you can add a humidity gauge but that's about the extent of what I would do.

A leak detector is on my DPV Wish List for the same reason I enjoy the leak detector on my camera housing - because I can establish negative pressure inside the hull long before I splash, then be pretty confident that I have no leaks BEFORE I splash.

Waiting until I see it starting to sink seems way inferior to checking seal integrity before getting in the water. If I have a slow leak and start driving as soon as I splash, I might not notice until it has taken on a fair bit of water. Being under way really tends to mask buoyancy issues until you stop.

interesting, @Jon Nellis may have actually gone through destructive testing with that which does change quite a bit. You definitely want to keep that printed with you anytime you fly though!

Yes, The Warp Core layers are UN38.3 tested in both configurations (4P2S & 8P1S) which is why they can legally fly on passenger aircraft and be shipped without full Class 9 Dangerous Goods declarations with the batteries inside the DPV, when the layers are electrically disconnected. Even the Genesis 2.2 and 3.2 can fly in passenger checked baggage with 18 layers of 95wh each inside and I have done just that before. PTB designs require the batteries to be removed for shipping or hand carried in carry-on baggage when traveling, as the wiring inside the DPV connects the packs, which puts them over the 100/160Wh limit. Per FAA and IATA regs, two or more batteries packs that are electrically connected are considered one battery for determining capacity.

Cheers,
Jon

Yes, The Warp Core layers are UN38.3 tested in both configurations (4P2S & 8P1S)

Hi Jon, I don't see anything on your website that explains these two configurations.

Why are there two battery configurations?

Is the battery config something that the user could/would change between, or is it part of the build done at the factory and changing would mean sending it back for rewiring?

A leak detector is on my DPV Wish List for the same reason I enjoy the leak detector on my camera housing - because I can establish negative pressure inside the hull long before I splash, then be pretty confident that I have no leaks BEFORE I splash.
There are others who have make vacuum testers for their DPVs and I know of 1 that has been done for the BT.

Currently I'm finishing up one for the Sierra, as DX no longer makes them and we like to perform vacuum tests after shaft seal replacements.

When I have time, I have plans to make one for the BT that in theory will be similar to the smart-slice in that you could take it diving. Or just one for bench testing...

Hi Jon, I don't see anything on your website that explains these two configurations.

Why are there two battery configurations?

Is the battery config something that the user could/would change between, or is it part of the build done at the factory and changing would mean sending it back for rewiring?

Thanks, but I actually look at that and the Owner's Manual document before I posted.

I don't even see mention of 4P2S or 8P1S in either document.

I thought maybe one was the 2.1 core and one the 2.2 core(?), but then I thought it would be something like 8P2S and 8P1S. As you can tell, I'm not entirely up to speed on what those terms mean. I figured 4P2S meant the same number of cells as 8P1S, just arranged differently with respect to parallel versus serial. And, being the same number of cells implies that we're not talking about a 2.1 core versus a 2.2 core (which would have twice as many cells).

4P2S means 4 parallel, 2 serial.. in LIION terms, that is a 14.8V battery with e.g 2*5000mAH=10Ah capacity
8P1S with same as above is a 29.6V 5Ah battery

Back
Top Bottom