DPV research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsignaigo91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone im new to the forum. Been diving for the last 11 years. Last couple years ive been fortunate enough to be diving more and more.

I'm doing some market research on DPVs. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on these. I'm seeing what people think can be improved, what they like about the selection on the market now, generally what you look for when purchasing? I'm asking all divers, cave divers, fresh water, sea, new to diving, seasoned diver,etc.

What is the purpose? (ie: get somewhere that can't be easily kicked to, less effort in the water, moving heavy equipment like a large camera, counter current more easily)
What is the range and duration of most of your dives? (ie: are you looking to travel long distances, or with bulky equipment)
What is your budget?

Start with these questions, it'll help everyone make recommendations.

I'll read between the lines.
New member, just joined, first post.
Looks like they are trying to invent or market something new, but don't know what they want to make. So the market research is to try and find a common problem they can make a fix for. Or a niche they can make a product for.

So not a "what DPV should I get" type of post. But a "what can I invent that no one has done before to solve a problem" type of post.

Problem with that broad of a question is that there is a huge spread of needs/wants in the divers and DPV market.

Yeah im not trying to be deceitful in any of it. If I was in the process of buying one I would have said it. I have made a couple DPVs during the covid lockdown. Nothing that I would want to market. Something that I enjoyed doing. But im curious to what divers are wanting and what they dont want in a broad spectrum. Just in general what people like and dislike about them.

Something reliable, standard shape (e.g. tow cable and single handed operation), something that runs on power tool batteries; something that trims neutrally; flexible speed control; not too expensive.

Something like my BlackTip.

But im curious to what divers are wanting and what they dont want in a broad spectrum.
What divers want....
1. a dpv that the prop spins every time you pull the trigger.
2. a dpv that doesn't flood (refer to #1)

Everything else is project specific. Depth/distance/bottom time, all of which exponentially increases the price when any one or all of those variables increase.

I dive a Suex XJ-s, 3+ hour run time, I use it for long reef dives and easy cave dives, that is what I need.

I am a proponent of magnetic rotary couplings for the prop and magnetic controls. The objective is to eliminate all dynamic seals to minimize potential leaks. Adding an electronic vacuum leak detector like many high end camera housings would also be a plus. Aside from being expensive, a flooded DPV can be dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom