DPV class video - this doesn't seem right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In technical dpv you’re taught to drive with right hand so left is free to light the way. But on long rides I will put my left hand on the shroud for comfort. In fact my xk1 has a little fold out left side handle for comfort during long cruises. I use it frequently.
Thank you! These are exactly the things that are helpful to hear about from more experienced divers. How would you use that second hand, though? Do you actually take weight off the leash? Or is it to help steer the DPV to relieve the right hand a bit?

Those are ow divers in the video. Who cares where their hands are?
It's not that I care, necessarily, but I couldn't think of any advantages to using two hands, and it doesn't seem any harder to use just one - so why not just learn that way from the beginning?

I will add though that a very experienced instructor would probably teach not to hold with the left hand even in a rec class in order not to create bad habits that could haunt them if they do go down the tech path
I guess this is where my way of thinking comes from. If there is no advantage to doing it a different way, why even start there?

It's not that I care, necessarily, but I couldn't think of any advantages to using two hands, and it doesn't seem any harder to use just one - so why not just learn that way from the beginning?
As you scoot more and longer you'll look for ways to stay comfortable. Resting your left hand on the shroud squares up your shoulders a bit and is more comfortable. I'm an OW diver so I just do whatever is needed for the situation.

That video was full of wrong. Slack tow lines, loose octos floating behind them, piloting the BT like it's a Yamaha 2 handed scoot. 🫣

With the blacktip I occasionally use the shroud to help stear when I'm in a cross current...

For towing a second diver I use a handle on a rope connected to my backplate. It goes to about mid calf / ankle so the 2nd diver is slip streamed and not in the way of my fins. The handle is also connected to a gear keeper that is longer than my rope. This keeps it up and out of the way until I'm towing and then the rope takes full weight of the tow. Having them hang onto your tank or calf just makes things awkward.
Pics are of the handle my buddy uses (I copied him)
View attachment 799052View attachment 799053View attachment 799055
They should hang onto your crotch strap and that clip is asking for problems

They should hang onto your crotch strap and that clip is asking for problems
They should be far enough back to not add additional drag. They should be out of the way of your fins to prevent interference. They should hang onto the handle that I provide them. I've towed with them hanging onto my tank, my calfs, my crotch strap, and my attached handle. Dope on a rope is by far the best option for OW diving. That clip stays on my BP. The handle snugs up right below my tank... no issues at all for OW.

I'm considering taking a DPV class to gain some confidence using scooters, and I came across this video on YouTube:

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to DPVs, but this doesn't look right to me.

- Why are they holding on with two hands?
- And why not let the DPV leash pull them, instead of the arms - the leash looks slack?
- Lastly: that DPV towing position does not look very effective?
That's because the hands are supposed to go inside, not outside. Duh! :oops:

Seriously, what was said prior.

As you scoot more and longer you'll look for ways to stay comfortable. Resting your left hand on the shroud squares up your shoulders a bit and is more comfortable. I'm an OW diver so I just do whatever is needed for the situation.
I must’ve done north of 500 dives with a scooter and have never found it more comfortable to ‘rest my left hand on the shroud’.
I’ve used Sierras, Cudas, Blacktips and, my weapon of choice, a Piranha P1. If the leash is adjusted correctly, the right hand is all that is needed.

I must’ve done north of 500 dives with a scooter and have never found it more comfortable to ‘rest my left hand on the shroud’.
I’ve used Sierras, Cudas, Blacktips and, my weapon of choice, a Piranha P1. If the leash is adjusted correctly, the right hand is all that is needed.
It gives my left hand someplace to rest and takes strain off my bad shoulder. Comfort is a very personal thing and I've found over my 75 ish scooter dives that I like to have that arm forward and below near the shroud so I may as well grab the damn thing when my arm hurts. Light on the tube takes care of travel and then light in the hand for when I get there.

They should be far enough back to not add additional drag. They should be out of the way of your fins to prevent interference. They should hang onto the handle that I provide them. I've towed with them hanging onto my tank, my calfs, my crotch strap, and my attached handle. Dope on a rope is by far the best option for OW diving. That clip stays on my BP. The handle snugs up right below my tank... no issues at all for OW.
The best way to not add drag is for their head to be tucked into the slipstream right behind your tanks. Interfering with your fins isn't an issue you have a dpv...

The best way to not add drag is for their head to be tucked into the slipstream right behind your tanks. Interfering with your fins isn't an issue you have a dpv...
Being fully slip streamed isn't as much of an issue for OW diving. Minimizing being torqued left or right is what this method really benefits. They're not high up causing drag there and not pulling from either side. You can easily drift out to either side for whatever reason and then right back on tow. We do this getting to the site and are often looking at other things. Being neck seal deep in your buddy's asshọle doesn't offer many good views. Again, rec diving with no ceiling.

Edit: you must be a GUE guy where there is only 1 way to do things. My experience and my ways work well for me and the people I dive with. Happy to share them with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom