DPV class video - this doesn't seem right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Genesis DPV and only recently have been using it at higher speeds. One thing I noticed quickly is that the intake has a lot of flow at speed. By that I mean that if you put your hand on the shroud, you better make sure you do so very carefully. If you get your hand just a bit in front of the shroud there will be a lot of force trying to pull it directly into the prop. It's not that hard to overcome but it can take you by surprise. The shroud does look like a nice grip point but just past the edge the intake is working hard.

The problem lately is scubaboard has actually had some very good technical diving questions come up with very good responses. It always gets broken down by the people who add in snide comments about GUE.
I agree, but I think the best strategy is to ignore/block and focus on the discussion instead of letting them derail the thread. So I'll repeat my question in case you missed it:

In technical dpv you’re taught to drive with right hand so left is free to light the way. But on long rides I will put my left hand on the shroud for comfort. In fact my xk1 has a little fold out left side handle for comfort during long cruises. I use it frequently.

Thank you! These are exactly the things that are helpful to hear about from more experienced divers. How would you use that second hand, though? Do you actually take weight off the leash? Or is it to help steer the DPV to relieve the right hand a bit?

Accurate, but people will call this 'hating' on them.

If conversations weren't 'disrupted', every other thread would just be the same 'this is how it's done right' fest. The second I saw this thread I knew this was a tee-up for the usual suspects. I'm not buying that the OP was actually asking anything.
So now his whole question is a conspiracy theory to push the dir agenda? Dude where do you come up with this stuff. If you would just tone it back a bit more people might actually give your comments the time of day.

Sometimes I do it like this

Screenshot (146).png

Hope I don't lose it

I agree, but I think the best strategy is to ignore/block and focus on the discussion instead of letting them derail the thread. So I'll repeat my question in case you missed it:
I've done the ignore thing for a long time. I still got people bugging me through DM. So might was well just speak my opinion.
When I put my left hand on the handle or shroud its basically just for comfort. Scootering with your arm straight out the whole time can tax your shoulders a little. Moving your hand to the shroud let your shoulders relax just a little and aid in comfort. I definitely don't shorten or slacken the tow line. I will every once in a while use my left hand for something like a crazy 180 turn. The XK1 is a long scooter and rides perfectly straight. Its weakness is very sharp turns. It can take a little extra oomph, so a little left hand pressure on the shroud can help to tighten the turn. But thats a very rare occurrence.
It doesn't have any effect on my right arm really since that one has to stay on the trigger.

So now his whole question is a conspiracy theory to push the dir agenda?
I don't see any conspiracy in this. Just annoyed by the constant stream of comments by the fanboys regurgitating their 'philosophy'. The recations to the 'questions' were very predictable... and you know it.

I'm not buying that the OP was actually asking anything.
Implies the OP was being disingenuous in asking the original question and had some sort of hidden agenda, possibly in concert with others having the same agenda.
I don't see any conspiracy in this.

Reactions: L13
Implies the OP was being disingenuous in asking the original question and had some sort of hidden agenda, possibly in concert with others having the same agenda.
As I'm sure you already know berndo lives in his own little world and won't see things any other way. Exactly what you pointed out is exactly why I commented. But I guess it doesn't matter since we're "usual suspects".
Now I get to wait for a new ranting PM from him about how once again I'm wrong.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

They should be far enough back to not add additional drag.

I’m no fluid dynamicist but I’d wager a lot of money that increasing the distance between tower and towed increases drag compared to tucking in tight holding the crotch strap.

Being fully slip streamed isn't as much of an issue for OW diving.

Edit: you must be a GUE guy where there is only 1 way to do things. My experience and my ways work well for me and the people I dive with.

Why wouldn’t you want to be “fully slip streamed” in open water? If I have to tow my buddy back I really don’t want more drag than is necessary.

I don’t care if you want to use a handle but I think you should test some of your assertions about drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom