DPV class video - this doesn't seem right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering taking a DPV class to gain some confidence using scooters, and I came across this video on YouTube:

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to DPVs, but this doesn't look right to me.

- Why are they holding on with two hands?
- And why not let the DPV leash pull them, instead of the arms - the leash looks slack?
- Lastly: that DPV towing position does not look very effective?

It to fast, so they need 2 hands on the steering wheel :wink:

Also note that older DPV often had 2 handles, it's nice for snorkeling and fooling around on the surface.

These are definitely genuine questions about the video an technique and weren't just posted to dump on PADI rec divers for not 'doing it right'. 🙄

These are definitely genuine questions about the video an technique and weren't just posted to dump on PADI rec divers for not 'doing it right'. 🙄
I don't have an axe to grind against PADI, I'm PADI certified. I actually wanted to take this speciality as part of my AOW, after completing fundies, but scooters were not available, so no luck. To be completely honest, from the little that I know after taking zero DPV training and having tried a DPV once, I did expect to have my suspicion confirmed that this was not the right technique - that much should be obvious from the phrasing of the questions and the title. However, since I have very little actual knowledge or experience with DPVs, I'm genuinely curious if there is something I'm missing, and I'm open to hearing where my assessment might be wrong.

That video was full of wrong. Slack tow lines, loose octos floating behind them, piloting the BT like it's a Yamaha 2 handed scoot. 🫣

With the blacktip I occasionally use the shroud to help stear when I'm in a cross current...

For towing a second diver I use a handle on a rope connected to my backplate. It goes to about mid calf / ankle so the 2nd diver is slip streamed and not in the way of my fins. The handle is also connected to a gear keeper that is longer than my rope. This keeps it up and out of the way until I'm towing and then the rope takes full weight of the tow. Having them hang onto your tank or calf just makes things awkward.
Pics are of the handle my buddy uses (I copied him)
20230414_171706.jpg
20230414_171711.jpg
20230414_171719.jpg

I have the same scooter shown in the pic and I use it under certain circumstances as it is shown in the video above, but generally when just using the scooter to travel I just hold the handle and let the scooter pull me by the tow line attached to crotch strap D-ring.

I use the scooter on the bottom for blowing sand when looking for meg teeth - when I use it like that I am holding the shroud at about mask level and have one hand on handle, the other on shroud. And when I surface behind the boat I'll generally unclip the tow rope and just hold the shroud on opposite side of handle while I'm heading to the ladder - this just allows me to hand it off quicker.

I have the same scooter shown in the pic and I use it under certain circumstances as it is shown in the video above, but generally when just using the scooter to travel I just hold the handle and let the scooter pull me by the tow line attached to crotch strap D-ring.

I use the scooter on the bottom for blowing sand when looking for meg teeth - when I use it like that I am holding the shroud at about mask level and have one hand on handle, the other on shroud. And when I surface behind the boat I'll generally unclip the tow rope and just hold the shroud on opposite side of handle while I'm heading to the ladder - this just allows me to hand it off quicker.
Thank you, those are situations I hadn't considered.

In technical dpv you’re taught to drive with right hand so left is free to light the way. But on long rides I will put my left hand on the shroud for comfort. In fact my xk1 has a little fold out left side handle for comfort during long cruises. I use it frequently. Those are ow divers in the video. Who cares where their hands are? At least they’re not on those crappy seado scoters. I will add though that a very experienced instructor would probably teach not to hold with the left hand even in a rec class in order not to create bad habits that could haunt them if they do go down the tech path. It’s a padi video though. Not bashing padi, but ,most padi instructors aren’t taught to problem proof their students for future tech diving since most won’t even be diving in 3 years anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom