Downtown ScubaL First Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who came out to Downtown Scuba for "First Friday". It was an amazing time with literally thousands of people walking by. We were pretty fortunate to have so many folks stop in and talk "scuba" with us.

We also had a bunch of Divemasters on hand to participate in the festivities. Always great to have them around. Thanks for showing up.

For those who didn't know, last week Brett Borchers, Armand Powell (All Wet Scuba - www.allwetscuba.com), Amy Lignoski and I (Oasis Divers - www.azdivers.com) took over Downtown Scuba. We have some really fun plans that will allow us to blend the scuba life and the downtown lifestyles together. We are planning to transition our downtown store to be a "cool place" to do Scuba.

Feel free to stop by All Wet Scuba in Tempe (Rural and Warner) and/or Oasis Divers in Paradise Valley (I-51 and Bell) and now our Downtown store on 7th Street and Roosevelt just south of the I-10. Lots of great things happening.

We have a temporary site up at www.downtownscuba.com.

First Friday is a monthly event on the first friday of every month. It's a big street party. Come join us in April.

John, it's great to see 2 shops working together to promote scuba. I know Brett and Armand and they're great people. I used to stop by All Wet on a regular basis last year, and I went a liveaboard with Armand. They're a lot of fun to hang out with. You and I haven't had much face to face time, but you're alright too...I guess... :D j/k

Anyway, it's nice to see this and hopefully it will do nothing but good for our small community of divers. Working together is what will make this sport grow. I've been in other parts of the country where dive shops regularly coordinate events together and wondered why that wasn't done here. Maybe things are changing for the better. Keep up the good work!

Tell us more about this shop, John. What's in the neighborhood? When I think of Roosevelt I think of a pretty tough area of town. What are you guys planning for this store? I mean... who are you gonna get to frequent this location and what's the draw?

A lot of redevelopment is happening downtown. 7th and Roosevelt is sort of on the edge of it, but it's still not quite at the good part of downtown yet. My office used to be at 3rd Street & McDowell, and I'm still in that part of town at least weekly and often daily.

As for the customer base, it would be attractive for air fills and quick pickups for divers who work downtown. There are also a ton of loft developments around the Central Avenue core that are drawing "yuppies" to the area.

If they were to put in a free wi-fi router, some eclairs, and maybe five buck prime rib for lunch on Thursday, I'd be happy to give up my present "downtown office" and hang out there.

azcaddman:
Next thing you know, he will be posting in the MOF/NMOF threads

I know for a fact that it's his favorite. He even tried to start his own MOF/NMOF thread over on TDS... but he got censored. :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom