Dow Corning 7 VS 111 and dual versions of Christolube and Tribolube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Shackleford

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gentleman,

I noticed Mr. Wolfinger sells (currently out of stock) Dow Corning Silicone Grease 7 for dynamic o-ring applications and 111 for static and packing application.

I also note there are two versions of Christolube and Tribolube respectively for dynamic and static/packing applications.

One would assume that the more expensive dynamic compounds could also be used for static applications.

The whole crux of my question is I appeared to have discovered something new in the world of scuba and lubes. Gentlemen, what are your experiences and opinions?

Is anyone using Dow Corning 7 for dynamic o-rings? I know the previous board consensus is use 111.

O2 creamy stuff sparsely inside regs, and valves
heavy 111 on all threads outside sealed sections
for future pulling apart, after much salt water use

and sparse 111 on low pressure rebreather stuff
including pure o2 rebreathers, loops and fittings

Silicone schlepp is for plumbing not inside regs

Tribolube over Christolube any day of the week.
It's a bit cheaper, but most important it doesn't appear to dry out like Christolube does. You know that white film in old regs that you can't remove to save your life? That's Christolube. Tribolube 71 doesn't do that. It just stays moist. And T-66 is much cheaper for static o-rings.

And one minimally scientific thing my first repair instructor (Rudy Mola) showed me when evaluating Tribolube for the first time for oxygen service: when you take a small lump of MCG-111 and fire a propane torch at it for 30-sec straight, it eventually glows red. But Tribolube just sits there gray and silent.

Yes, that's the same argument used against Viton o-rings in oxygen service.
I am only pointing out an odd characteristic that conceivably supports ongoing combustion. But at that point you have bigger problems, anyway. :D

Back
Top Bottom