Why every diver should take a regulator course!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you're careful with the soft tubing they come with you can get a seal around a normal mouthpiece. That's what I usually use so I don't have to remove the mouthpiece

You can also take an old mouthpiece and, using a single hole paper punch, put a hole in the side of it. The tubing I use on my mag fits in there nicely and seals well. Slip on the second stage, make the adjustment, and reinstall the new or old mouthpiece if it's not damaged.
When I teach the course this is what we do and I give the student a mouthpiece with this modification. Along with a few custom tools that make servicing the regs a bit easier that I fabricate on the waterjet.

You can also take an old mouthpiece and, using a single hole paper punch, put a hole in the side of it. The tubing I use on my mag fits in there nicely and seals well. Slip on the second stage, make the adjustment, and reinstall the new or old mouthpiece if it's not damaged.
When I teach the course this is what we do and I give the student a mouthpiece with this modification. Along with a few custom tools that make servicing the regs a bit easier that I fabricate on the waterjet.

one of my future projects, just has been low on the priority list for me. I think @herman told me to do that as well.... whoops, bad student

I reside in Thailand and I would like to get a Apeks regulator maintenance training to service my own regulators, however the only service course I found is "TQS Regulator Service Technician Level I" at Scuba Clinic in Phuket for 45000 THB (~1400 USD). With this course you will be certified to service any regulator, but I don't plan to work as a regulators technician thus don't want to pay so much for the training.
Are there some Apeks-only courses in Thailand?
More than enough info on line for you to digest.
Apeks regs is very easy to service but it would be extremely helpful if you have a very knowledgeable person to guide you through the initiation. The only special tool required is the c-spanner(x2).
BTW, you have to be able to obtain the necessary service kits(one each for 1st and 2nd stage).

@The Chairman, So when you teaching one of these classes and how much is it?
I set them up whenever you want. I'm in SE Suwanee County, about 20 minutes west of High Springs Fl. I don't remember the price off the top of my head. I'll get back to you on that.

BTW, you have to be able to obtain the necessary service kits(one each for 1st and 2nd stage).
Yea I found out already that local Apeks/Aqualung dealers do not sell service kits for the general public, but these are vastly available on Ebay.

I set them up whenever you want. I'm in SE Suwanee County, about 20 minutes west of High Springs Fl. I don't remember the price off the top of my head. I'll get back to you on that.
i am also curious. i dont get to florida often but would like to know how long a class lasts and how much it costs.

i am also curious. i dont get to florida often but would like to know how long a class lasts and how much it costs.
@The Chairman, So when you teaching one of these classes and how much is it?
$250 for a solo class (HOG/Deep 6 or Tank Inspection Procedures) or $200 each with two, up to four. I allot 6 hours for each class, but they are often accomplished in about 4.5 hours. Many people will do these back to back days with classes in the morning and go diving in the afternoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom