Doubles w/o manifold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Diving independent doubles *can* work, but you need to be *VERY CAREFUL*, educated, and disciplined with your gas management....you don't just breathe one tank down and then switch to the other when you need it.
Yeah... if you're concerned about having to think about gas management, bear in mind that there's more of it to do with independant doubles than there is if they're manifolded.

Really though, IMHO if you don't want to manage your gas supply, you should consider staying in shallow water.

Soggy:
No...dive a set of manifolded doubles when you need redundancy and have a set of single tanks for when you need to dive singles. Like I said...diving independent doubles for purely economic reasons is stupidity of Darwinian proportions. Dive the configuration that best suits the type of diving you do. Think about *why* you need redundancy, what possible failures can occur, and read up on the different strategies for redundancy.

Diving independent doubles *can* work, but you need to be *VERY CAREFUL*, educated, and disciplined with your gas management....you don't just breathe one tank down and then switch to the other when you need it.

When I say remove the manifold I mean dive each tank independently such as a on beach or small boat dive where a set of doubles is overkill. I don't mean to infer having both tanks simultaneously but using independently. Sorry for the confusion. All in all, using two tanks for multiple purposes.

oversea:
When I say remove the manifold I mean dive each tank independently such as a on beach or small boat dive where a set of doubles is overkill. I don't mean to infer having both tanks simultaneously but using independently. Sorry for the confusion. All in all, using two tanks for multiple purposes.
That would work, but it sounds like a huge pain in the butt. I wouldn't do it.

MSilvia:
Yeah... if you're concerned about having to think about gas management, bear in mind that there's more of it to do with independant doubles than there is if they're manifolded.

Really though, IMHO if you don't want to manage your gas supply, you should consider staying in shallow water.

Wait a minute, gas management is inherent the second I hit the water. Maintaining enough gas for safety/deco stops and possibly some time on the surface in rough water is part of the game. My point is that I don't feel comfortable or maybe confident (experienced) enough that I can calculate how much I will use on the dive, stops and surface and still leave myself enough gas to do it all again on a second dive. Thats why I origonally referenced independent doubles, for three reasons, I can use one cylinder knowing I have gas for another dive, I have redundency and supposedly (I don't know this myself but sounds correct) doubles are more balanced than a single and a pony. I usually surface with about 600 to 800 psi in my tanks so I will still have a backup should I need it. I am not trying to alleviate myself of the gas management responsibility, just trying to understand the best and most cost effiecient way to do this. I am not a tech diver and have never done ocean wrecks up here on long island. This entire subject had come about because local dive boats here require redundency. A pony was fine for me except that others, both on and off the board had suggested doubles. I truthfully, other than redundency and capacity, have no idea why they would be better for me.

oversea:
So you are saying to go with doubles for the redundency (among other things) and for other types of dives, remove the manifold and cap the valves for independent use?
Like Matt says, to do that would be a huge PITA.

Let me make myself clear, a set of manifolded doubles and some singles would be the best option, not everyone has that luxury, some would say don't dive then, that's up to you.

If I could not afford two sets of tanks, I would opt for independent doubles, they are a hassle to dive, having to remember reg switches and such, but knowledge is cheap and I'd rather dive with a small hassle then not dive at all.

OneBrightGator:
Like Matt says, to do that would be a huge PITA.

Let me make myself clear, a set of manifolded doubles and some singles would be the best option, not everyone has that luxury, some would say don't dive then, that's up to you.

If I could not afford two sets of tanks, I would opt for independent doubles, they are a hassle to dive, having to remember reg switches and such, but knowledge is cheap and I'd rather dive with a small hassle then not dive at all.

I currently own (2) al 80's and (2) steel 119's (actually the steels are on order). So I would still have individual tanks to use. If I doubled up the 119's would a 45 lb wing have enough lift with a 6lb plate and the basics?

Heres another kick in the n_ts. If I were to dive a set of doubles, should I use a pair of regs or just one and an octo? BTW, thanks in advance for dealing with my ignorance

Oversea, how tall are you? Those 119's are kind of stubby and might be a bit nose heavy for you if doubles up. 45# wings are on the limit i reckon for those tanks, dive-rite suggests that the trek wing (45#) can be used with double 119's, but i would think its tighter than using lighter doubles. As for regs, you need an independant 1st stage and 2nd stage on each valve, be it independant or manifolded doubles, dont put more than one 2nd on a 1st stage as you would with a singles set up, it isnt needed, but you cant get away with only one 1st stage (that is one of your redundancies) between both valves if that was what i thought i was reading into the question.

oversea:
Heres another kick in the n_ts. If I were to dive a set of doubles, should I use a pair of regs or just one and an octo? BTW, thanks in advance for dealing with my ignorance

Yes you will have to use a pair of regs, The best way to go is to find somebody in your area who dives double (like an instructor) and learn from him.

simbrooks:
Oversea, how tall are you? Those 119's are kind of stubby and might be a bit nose heavy for you if doubles up. 45# wings are on the limit i reckon for those tanks, dive-rite suggests that the trek wing (45#) can be used with double 119's, but i would think its tighter than using lighter doubles. As for regs, you need an independant 1st stage and 2nd stage on each valve, be it independant or manifolded doubles, dont put more than one 2nd on a 1st stage as you would with a singles set up, it isnt needed, but you cant get away with only one 1st stage (that is one of your redundancies) between both valves if that was what i thought i was reading into the question.
Yes, stupid question, without two 1st and 2nd stages there is no redundency. Thanks, see, ignorance, new guys know nothing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom