Doubles w/o manifold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
I'm surprised no one has developed a 'soft' isolation manifold for back mounted or side mounted independant doubles.
There is one for independant doubles to convert them to manifolded doubles - I thought it was called the "ultimate manifold", but a quick google search didn't turn it up. Basically it uses a braided metal whip to connect the tanks, and costs a fortune. Comes in a pelican case from memory with yoke/DIN adapters. I think I would rather dive independants (or a single stage with a single back tank) than try and use it.

I'm all about the traditional manifolded tanks on the back. I'm thinking of going CCR next year though. Lighten the load a bit. :)

mempilot:
I'm surprised no one has developed a 'soft' isolation manifold for back mounted or side mounted independant doubles. It seems, a somewhat flexible high pressure hose run off each valve to a centralized isolation manifold would do the trick for cave divers and travelers wanting the benefits of doubles.

The fundamental problem with any "manifold" that attaches to the valve orfice of a "K" valve is that the closing the "K" valve prevents access to the gas in that tank.

With conventional manifolds the "crossbar" outlet communicates directly with the tank contents, i.e. closing the tank valve turns off only the orfice (and 1st stage connected to it) it does not isolate the tank contents from the other tank, or the other 1st Stage.

It's in theory possible to connect the HP ports of two 1st Stages, but here again little is gained, if one regs free flows and you shut it down, you have lost access to half the gas, and you have added an extra flexible, large bore HP hose.

Independent singles remains a better alternative to any "soft manifold" I've been able to imagine.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom